Chapter 15

Lexi

“You did good for your very first day. I’m impressed.” Nickolas says to me. I, however, am still upset about the whole lying thing.

“Within a few weeks, you should be stronger than the Betas.” I don’t care.

“Within a few years, you’ll make a wonderful Alfa.” Still don’t care.

“I still don’t want to be an Alfa.” I mumbled plopping facedown onto the bed. Immediately the space beside me dipped down as Nickolas sat next to me. His hands started rubbing my back and tracing circles.

“Please don’t ever repeat that again. It kills me each time you say something like that.” The pain in his voice was evident and made me soften. 

“I know you don’t want any of this right now, but please, for my sake, please try.” I hated hearing his voice sound this upset. 

I sat up in place and wrapped my arms around his neck before pecking his cheek.

Nickolas 

It has been four weeks since our first day training and I was impressed with her development. Our days became oddly peaceful; go out to the center in the mornings and work on pack duties and relax in the evenings.

I was also discreetly teaching Lexi about running the pack. At nights I would ask for her assistance with our bank accounts and land ownership taxes. I also had her organize some repairs with the fence and let her order the materials we would need for it.

She still hasn’t seen the pack, other than her brother and some wolves with rankings. Her parents were still on the run and might not be home for another few weeks. Today was the day my father would come down to the center with us; he was eager to evaluate my mates physical abilities.

Lexi was hesitant about letting him watch us, but she gave in once I made him promise to not talk about the mating process or marking her. 

As always, I dropped the cage of birds off with my mother. At approximately 35 days old, they were jumping around and had started weaning from their formula. They were still kind of ugly, but Lexi adored each one. It would take a little longer until we could determine their gender, but once we knew, Lexi wanted to name them.

We were currently walking towards the center again; my father would be joining us after he had breakfast with my mother. 

“What if your dad thinks I suck?” She voiced her concerns. I knew she secretly wanted my father to like her.

“He won’t.”

“And he promised to not talk about…stuff, right?” I nodded, knowing what she was referring to.

“Good.”

Lexi

My stomach felt queasy as I saw Henry (Nickolas’s Dad) step into the center. I was currently stretching beside Nickolas when he came into the weight room and sat down on the floor. Ignore him, just concentrate.