Chapter 13

Nickolas

“Hurry up!” Lexi called to me; I was still behind, seeing no rush. The pet store closed in an hour.

Lexi decided we needed a new cage for the baby doves and some proper formula to feed them with. She had left the babies behind with Liam while we went shopping. 

I enter the store and find that Lexi has gone missing.

“Excuse me? Where is the bird selection located?” I asked a young clerk.

“Back corner.” I made my way there and sure enough, Lexi has there with a shopping cart, examining the several bird cages. 

“That white one looks nice.” I offered.

“It’s too tall. Bad for babies; they could fall and get hurt.” She answered automatically.

“What about that one then?” I said pointing to another. It was black, not as tall, wider than the last one. 

“It’s pretty good, but also expensive.” She scrunched her eyebrows.

“It’s alright. It’s for a good cause.” I picked up the box and set in right into the cart.

“You sure?” 

“Of course. What else do we need?” 

Lexi moved onto the next aisle and began picking out some wooden perches. She also picked out a hanging bed and an artificial nest. I checked some toys at the end of the aisle while she studied the available formula.

“Need any help? My name is David.” The clerk I asked for directions earlier stood next to Lexi who was at the other end of the aisle from me. Mine! 

“I have three newborn doves and need some good formula; I think they were almost emaciated when I found them.”

“This kind is pretty good.” He said picking one out and handing it to her.

“Oh thanks.” She smiled as she put it in the cart.

“I think it’s great that you rescued those babies.” He smiled at her. Why is he smiling at her? Who cares? Just kill him!

“Thanks, they fell out of the nest in the woods.”

“That sucks.”

“Right. I gotta go.” She turned to leave, but David stopped her.

“So, do you go to high school around here? I mean, I would’ve recognized you.” Okay, ‘David’ has no right to ask my mate anything.

“Um, no. I’m actually home-schooled.” She lied. Werewolves always lie about this sort of thing. 

“Oh, well in case you ever need any help with the birds, here’s my number.” Okay, that’s enough. Before my wolf shifts and rips this guy to shreds. 

“Hey Lexi!” I strut over to my mate. “I found some toys I think they’d like.” 

“Great! David just helped me find some formula.” She spoke unaware that I was observing their entire encounter. She took the armful of toys.