Different rules

Steve POV

Nat and her niece finally emerged out together. My eyes caught Nats and instinctively I flashed a smile which she returned. As they joined where Tony, Thor and I were standing I turned back around and started to talk.

"The rules have changed." I stated

"We're dealing with something new." Tony interrupted

"Well, the Vision's artificial intelligence." I reasoned

A machine."

"So it doesn't count."

"No. It's not like a person lifting the hammer." Tony scoffed

"Right. Different rules for us."

Tony Stark: "Nice guy, but artificial."

"Thank you." I stated with gratitude

"If he can wield the hammer, he can keep the Mind Stone. It's safe with the Vision and these days, safe is in short supply." Thor announced as he gestured with his hammer. Clearly it wasn't really up for discussion but...

"But if you put the hammer in an elevator..." I started, getting a little distracted

"It would still go up." Tony argued shaking his head.

"Elevator's not worthy." Maddie chimed in. I have to admit, I'm starting to grow a little fond of her, but I'm getting the feeling that she hasn't told us everything

"I'm going to miss these little talks of ours." Thor laughed

"Well, not if you don't leave." Tony replied, with high levels of sass

"I have no choice. The Mind Stone is the fourth of the Infinity Stones to show up in the last few years. That's not a coincidence. Someone has been playing an intricate game and has made pawns of us." Thor explained. "But once all these pieces are in position..."

"Triple Yahtzee?" Tony, questiongly interrupted.

"You and your references" Maddie laughed whilst rolling her eyes. Just like her aunt.

"You think you can find out what's coming?" I stated, regaining my concentration.

"I do." Thor nodded. "Besides this one, there's nothing that can't be explained." He then summoned his sparkly Asgardian portal thingy.

"That man has no regard for lawn maintenance." Tony scoffed, shaking his head as we walked over to his car. "I'm gonna miss him though. And you're gonna miss me. There's gonna be a lot of manful tears."

"I will miss you, Tony." I laughed

"Yeah?" He questioned although I could tell he was pleased. "Well, it's time for me to tap out. Maybe I should take a page out of Barton's book and build Pepper a farm"

"Hope nobody blows it up." Maddie interrupted

"I was just thinking that" Tony stated, nodding his head.

"The simple life." I laughed

"You'll get there one day." Tony said, patting me on the back.

"I don't know, family, stability. The guy who wanted all that went in the ice seventy-five years ago. I think someone else came out." I reasoned as Tony got into his car.

"You alright?" Maddie asked

"I'm home." Which is all I could really respond with

*

I walked up some stairs to find Nat staring at a wall. "You want to keep staring at the wall, or do you want to go to work? I mean, it's a pretty interesting wall." I stated making her laugh a little as she turned around.

"I thought you and Tony were still gazing into each other's eyes. Or did Mads do her supervising job properly? How do we look?" She sent Maddie to supervise me. ME! Tony I understand but-

She tried but well, we're not the '27 Yankees." I said, surprised if she got the reference whilst handing her a table.

"We've got some hitters." She responded.

"They're good. They're not a team."

"Let's beat 'em into shape."

With that we walked back down the stairs, gathering everyone we had left before addressing them all.

"Avengers," I started

"It's Time for the Final Battle!" Nat finished.