Chapter 52: Curiosity

Start from the beginning

"I'm finished." Em said and pushed her chair back. With the paper in her hands, she went out in the garden.
***

Finding some solace under a tree, Em laid down on the grass and began flipping through the paper.

There were articles about the current trade and businesses opening. Some even covered the amazing sales from a growing jewelry shop, where a Baron had purchased a wonderful wedding set for his fiancè. People seemed to find it interesting and Em was happy for the owner. Doing business was not easy and for this person to have garnered such high regards was no little thing.

Her eyes flew from one article to another until she came upon the gossip section. She paused and took her time going through it. Em knew that she'd be a hypocrite if she denied that she enjoyed a scandal or two. Back in Hinley, she and Sam would discuss such things and try to come up with scenarios how they would handle them if they were in such dilemma.

The first two paragraphs talked about how grand the ball at Montessor tower was and how intriguing it was that the well-known manager of Spendell's was found utterly foxed in one of the empty rooms.

"...no one else was found with the room and it left  everyone wondering what could have happened to the respectable man. Surely he would not make such a spectacle of himself, it was most improper."

"Serves you right." Em murmured while her hands shook with anger. Now, for certain, Stanley would be wise enough to leave the city and fade into the background. If he wished to save what was left of his reputation. He was brave enough to show himself after Vincent had faced him at the hotel...but not long. Being the subject of gossip was enough to chase any man away from society. And also, there was Alexi's promise that Stanley will be handled accordingly. At this point, she care naught what was to happen to him.

She ought to thank Alexi and Evangeline, if it wasn't for them she may have been forced to marry the lech. Em decided to send flowers to Miss Pritchard and mayhap some sweets to the prince.

Her eyes continued to read the following gossip that the writer found amusing enough to write down. There was mention of a lady falling down and the hosts' son, also a renowned knight, had rescued her but no one seemed to have know the mysterious woman's name.

Em chuckled, surely, those three ladies who pushed her have seen this article and are now fuming with anger. Not only was she good friends with Gideon, she also landed the gossip column anonymously. While they were never even noticed.

The rest of the sentences mentioned whatever happened at the ball but was starting to get boring. Until the beginning of the next paragraph, nearly covering the last two columns of the paper mentioned her—yet again.

"....it was much a surprise to see our Prince made an appearance at such wonderful event. But hold your horses dear readers. For there is more! We had a royal visitor, yes. Not one but two! Yes. You read that right. There was another prince in attendance. The one and only Prince Fredericks of Habsburg."

Em held her breath. She was dreading this.

"...no one knew why this prince seemed to have kept his identity hidden until the end of the ball. He seemed to have blended it with the guests. Those who have seen him had no words describe the kind of air that was surrounding him. But one was thing was certain, he was very much of a royalty that you could ever imagine: tall, handsome and very charming. We know little  about him but have faith dear readers, we may be able to find out more in the upcoming days. Afterall, he appeared to be in good relationship with a lovely young lady he danced with last night. A lady that have caught the prince's eyes is certainly a mystery and a delight. We are yet to know more about them but they never graced the ballroom more than once. It was assumed that they retreated somewhere private but some claimed they were seen within the grounds, only to disappear soon after."