Chapter 38

"Promise me that you'll call me if you need anything today." Michael said as he hugged me.

"You know I will. Sam and Mason will be with me, I'll be ok." I said as I pushed up onto my tiptoes to kiss him.

He let out a long sigh as he pulled me closer.

"I love you. Please be careful, and I'll talk to you later." he said before giving me one last kiss, getting into his car and heading to work.

Gathering everything I needed I got into my Tahoe, and drove out to meet with the divorce attorney. The meeting lasted for a few hours, as we talked about everything that we planned on doing. I'm hoping Jeremy and I can settle everything outside of court.

As was getting out of the car at home, Mason pulled up and parked in the street.

"This is a really cute house!" He said as he walked up the steps.

"It's just about perfect isn't it?" I said as I hugged him.

"How are you?" Mason asked as we walked inside.

I pulled two bottles of water out of the fridge and slid one to him across the counter. "Am I a horrible person if I say I'm actually ok? Even happy?"

He chuckled before taking a sip, "No, everyone deserves to be happy."

"I don't want to sound heartless, I am upset about Jeremy, I just feel like I mourned the end of our relationship months ago." I said.

"Well, let's go get your stuff so you can feel more at home here." he said as he motioned for us to leave.

Mason picked up a bunch of boxes and packing supplies on his way over. After moving those into my Tahoe, we drove out to Jeremy's house. Sam met us there, and helped to carry everything we needed inside.

"Where do you want to start?" Sam asked.

"I guess the bedroom. We can get all of my clothes from the closet and everything out of the bathroom." I said running my fingers through my hair.

"What about your office?" Mason asked.

"We'll do that next." I said.

"How are we moving your desk and the furniture? I Don't think it will fit in your Tahoe." Mason asked again.

"I'm not taking any furniture." I said shaking my head.

"Oh..." he said surprised, but didn't ask any more.

Gathering and boxing everything up didn't take as long as I thought it would. Once everything was in boxes, Sam and I taped them shut while Mason took them out to the Tahoe.

While Sam and Mason made sure everything was going to fit in the car, I turned off all the lights and took my house key off of my key ring. Finding a pad of paper in the kitchen drawer and a pen, I wrote him a quick note.

I got everything I need out. 

Thank you for making this simple.

You can keep all the furniture 

and everything that is left.

-Harper

Leaving my key on the counter next to the note, I locked the front door before closing it behind me.

"Ready?" Mason asked as I walked over to the car.

"Yeah." I said nodding.

Mason and I drove back to the house and Sam followed. After backing the Tahoe into the driveway I got out and opened the front door to the house and propped it open. Just as we started to pull the boxes out of the back of the Tahoe, Michael pulled into the driveway early from work.