Chapter 32

Standing up from the table, I carried my plate into the kitchen and started to clear the dishes from cooking dinner. There was soft music playing and I quietly sang along as I rinsed everything and started to load the dishwasher. I heard my phone chime, but since my hands were wet, I quickly finished, before grabbing the dish towel and drying them off. Picking up my phone, I saw that it was a text from Harper.

Harper: Jeremy knows. I'm ok and going to Michael's for the night. I'll call you tomorrow. I love you.

"Well shit." I said under my breath.

Mason: Glad you're ok. Call if you need me before tomorrow. Love you too.

I have been waiting for so long for her to come to her senses and leave Jeremy. He has always been a pain in the ass and so self centered it was unbelievable.

Setting my phone down, I couldn't help the questions that started to run through my head as I leaned back on the counter. I wanted to know how it all happened, and most of all, what she said to him. As much as I wanted to, I refrained from calling Harper to get all the details. As my mind drifted into picturing Harper punching Jeremy in the face, I was pulled out of my daydream by my phone ringing. Looking down at it, I saw Sam's name. Not wanting to give anything away, I answered as normally as I could.

"Hey..." I barely got out before Sam cut me off.

"Can you come get me?" She asked through tears.

Immediately becoming more focused on what I was hearing, I quickly tried to get my shoes on, "Of course, are you ok?" I asked her, trying to stay calm.

"I just need you to come get me and not ask any questions." She said as I heard a door shut.

"Ok, where are you?" I asked.

"At Harper and Jeremy's." She said as she started to cry again.

"Ok, I'll be there in just a minute." I said, just as she hung up.

If Sam was there, then I hope to god that means that Carter is there too. Pulling out of my driveway, I had no concern for the speed limits as I made my way to her as quickly as possible.

Pulling up outside their house, I didn't bother to park properly before jumping out of my car and running up to the front porch where Sam was sitting. She was still crying, and as soon as she looked up, she started to walk to me too.

"Are you ok?" I asked her as she wrapped her arms around me in a hug.

I could feel her nod just before she whispered, "Lets just go, please."

Walking her to the car, I opened her door for her before quickly getting in myself and pulling away.

"Where are we going?" I asked as I looked over at her.

"Um... My place. You can just drop me off." She said as she wiped more tears off of her face.

There was a fast food restaurant coming up, so I pulled into the drive thru and got us both a drink.

"Drink this." I said softly as I handed her her drink.

I knew she had been crying for a while, and that a headache would be soon to follow if she didn't already have one.

"Thank you." she said as she curled up into a ball as I drove.

I was hesitant to say anything, but my heart was breaking at the sight of her.

"I know you said no questions, but are statements allowed?" I asked her.

"I guess." She said as she leaned her head against the window.