Chapter 35

Sitting at the foot of my bed, I put on my shoes while I waited for Harper to finish getting ready. I had to go back to work today. I didn't want to. I wish I could take the rest of the week off to just be home with her, but I can't. Not wanting her to be home alone with her thoughts, I asked her if she just wanted to come to work with me today. She's contacting the divorce lawyer today, so I wanted her close to me. Standing up, I pulled on my suit jacket and adjusted my collar. 

I could hear Harper flipping through her clothes in the closet, and a minute later she came out in a long white dress with  black stripes on it

I could hear Harper flipping through her clothes in the closet, and a minute later she came out in a long white dress with black stripes on it. Stepping in front of the mirror, she adjusted the dress and turned as she looked herself over. 

"Is this ok?" She asked hesitantly

Stepping behind her I put my hands on her hips as I smiled.

"You're beautiful." I said.

"I just feel like everything I have is too casual." She said with a huff.

"Wear this. It's perfect." I said as I wrapped my arms around her and kissed her cheek.

"Ok." she said with a small smile.

"But..." I said as she stepped away, "You'll want a jacket. The office is cold."

She gave me a small nod in relief. I don't think she was expecting me to be ok with what she was wearing. She seems to do that frequently. She always seems to ask if what she is wearing is 'ok'. Now, I try and compliment her before she can even ask. She always looks amazing, and I'll never let a day pass without telling her.

While she found a jacket and put on shoes, I slipped my laptop into my bag and collected everything I needed. Thankfully I didn't live too far from work. Pulling into the parking garage, I found my usual parking spot and we walked inside. Taking Harper's hand, I led her to the little coffee shop that was in the lobby.

"Are you hungry?" I asked her as we stood in line.

"A little." she said as she looked over all the pastries on display.

"What do you want?"

"A blueberry muffin." She said pointing to it.

Stepping up to the counter, all the barista's knew me because I always get a cup of coffee in the morning before heading to my office.