Morning 𝑩𝒂𝒃𝒆 // J. Dawson

Joel and I met through Clyde and Minnow. I had been running with them, headed towards the mountains, but I was intrigued by Joel's 'Grand Romantic Gesture' to his ex-girlfriend that was in the West in Jenner Beach. I didn't like Joel, but I didn't want him to get himself killed with his shitty instincts...and that freezing problem, he definitely needed to work on that.

But, right now we were sitting on a cliff edge and I was explaining all the worst monsters to him as he drew them in his notebook.

"Queen Sandgobblers are the baddest bitches in the apocalypse." I said and rolled my eyes at the memory of seeing my ex get eaten by one.

"Okay...Baddest bitches." He reiterated as he scribbled down some notes on his page.

"You know, I never met anyone like you, Joel Dawson." I said nonchalantly as I watched the Sun dance along the horizon.

"I've never met anyone like you either, Jupiter Adey." He smiled, "Look, I know that you follow that whole 'Not both' rule and shit, but can we just not tonight? I need food and sleep."

I turned to him and smirked, "Who said I follow Clyde's rules?" Joel laughed and shook his head.

"Well, we should probably set up a camp somewhere." I sighed looked back at the horizon.

"Yeah, probably." He sighed and got to his feet.

"Wait."

"Why? What's wrong?" He asked in concern.

"I wanna watch the Sun set and the stars come out." I sounded like a child but I didn't care, "I-I sleep better when the stars come out." I mumbled in defence.

"Yeah. Yeah I'd like that." He grinned and sat back down, this time sitting next to me with his legs over the cliff like mine making me smile.

We both looked out at the Sun as it slipped further down the sky and closer to the horizon.

"We shouldn't have to be living like this, Joel." I said quietly.

"I know. It sucks but we've just got to do it." He sighed.

"You know what I wish sometimes?" I asked Joel with a slight smile.

"What do you wish sometimes?" He smiled back at me.

"Sometimes, I wish I could snap my fingers and be back in my room watching tons of movies with my mom." I smiled sadly and remembered how she died.

"Yeah. Sometimes I wish for something like that to happen too." He looked down and started playing with his fingers.

"What would you wish for?" I asked.

"That I could snap my fingers and be back in that car with my girlfriend Aimee." He said sadly.

I nodded and dangled my legs over the edge of the cliff. I started humming a tune I could remember from before the apocalypse.

"I recognise that song." Joel furrowed his eyebrows and looked at me.

"You do?" I asked.

"Yeah. Yeah my mom and I used to play it when she drove me home from school." He smiled sadly at the memory and looked out over the fields, hundreds of feet below us.

"My dad played it for me once and I kinda didn't forget it." I chuckled and shook my head.

He left us a couple of years before the world descended into this hell. A single tear slipped down my cheek as I thought about telling that to Joel.