Chapter 13

I'm shaking drinking,

all this coffee...

These last few weeks have been exhausting

I'm lost in my imagination

And there's one that I need from you,

Can you come through?

***

"Hello everyone. I am....

Pindrop silence coats the hall. Mouths ajar, eyes wide. All eager, all waiting.

.... Alyssa Kingsley. I welcome you all to our six-month anniversary. Hope you all are having fun whilst your stay here." I give away an exaggerate smile, adding on to the effect. And damn did it work.

A rainbow of expressions filled the room. Some gasped, while some just remained silent, analyzing my every step.

But the ones that entertained me the most were the faces that had judged me by outer appearance. The introduction of the supposed 'help' as the newest extension to their family really did shock them to the core. And nevertheless, I enjoyed every part of it.

You're probably thinking why am I being so fricking dramatic. Well... the answer is, I grew up watching Indian soap operas, and needless to say drama runs in my blood now.

But there's still something nagging me. Where the hell is Mase? I see that other people have noticed his absence too. Looking round the room, I see no trace of him, or even his friends. What am I to do now with these strangers!?

"Lost in your thoughts again?" If it isn't my favorite miss arrogant beauty.

"As Florence Welch said, I try to maintain a healthy dose of daydreaming to remain sane.''

As if not expecting that answer, she makes a surprised face. "You're talking as if you're in some kind of pain."

Oh, you've got no idea. "What makes you think I'm not?"

She chuckles at my response as if it was of immense humor to her. "Why would someone the likes of you say that? You hit the jackpot after all. Or else scum like you don't deserve to even step foot in this house." Lowering her voice down a bit, she continues spitting her venom, "I recognize people like you very well. Luring rich boys into your trap, all you want is our money!"

"Wearing a pretty dress, which you couldn't even afford on your own and splashing glitter over your face doesn't hide what you really are." Her side kick joins in. Number 1- I bought this dress with my own savings. Number 2- Why would anyone want to 'splash' glitter on their face? But divulging in an argument with them would be like teaching a circus monkey, the art of engineering.

Even though their words did hurt me, I've now learnt to hide my emotions well. "Pity. To be so absorbed in the contemplation of your own world, that you are wholly oblivious to the sufferings of people around you." I say with a smile.