Chapter 12

~I was taught to believe too early

Only later did I find that the person I thought my special

.... Professed, yet deceived. ~

And the greatest mistake of my life was letting people stay in my life, far longer than they deserved to.

***

I hate family dinners. I always have. Even as a child, I always tried to find ways to not attend them. Maybe it was the relatives' intruding questions about my life, which I so very hard to escape. Or maybe it was the burning jealousy in their eyes, seeing the success of their own bloodline. It scorched me, it disgusted me. To speak with so much love and concern with their sugar-coated voices, while in their hearts, they bore hatred and envy.

Being a wallflower, it also fascinated me. Since I didn't find any amusement in involving in their mindless chatter, all I did was observe. Observe, how they could pretend to be a big, happy family, sitting together and reminiscing their 'those days', while deep inside conspiring to ruin the other, to fulfil their own selfish intentions.

Today was such a day. Maybe the surname changed, but the 'family issues' remained the same. A day I hate. The whole Kingsley family is gathered together to mark the celebration of our six-month anniversary. I though 1-2-3-month anniversary thingies were celebrated only by teen couples, but well, this is the Kingsley household. Showing off is what they do best.

Everyone looked to be on cloud nine, their makeup brimmed faces looking cheerful and happy. Everyone except the people for whom the party was organized. Me and Mase.

And guess what? No one even cared. No one cared that the very people whom they came to celebrate for were missing. I wouldn't even be surprised if they didn't know the cause for the gathering.

Busy in my thoughts, I didn't notice that someone was calling me until I felt a slight poke at my arm. As I turn my head, towards the person who just woke me up from my daily dose of procrastination, I notice that she's a beautiful woman who looks to be in her mid-thirties. With a light olive complexion and ocean blue eyes, her rose-gold evening gown accentuating her perfect curves, she was glowing like a goddess. A flawless beauty.

But there's nothing perfect in this world.

"You're the help, right? Go and serve us some tea. We're exhausted over there, and you're standing here idly, busy daydreaming!" She says, her bitter tone ruining her otherwise sweet voice. And also ruining her perfect image in my mind, her arrogance being the key flaw.

But I can't even blame her for mistaking me for a servant. For my simple off-white shirt and plain grey skirt resembled nothing for what they wanted to see in a Mrs. Kingsley. Some of the help did dress better than me after all.

Well, the queen gave her command, what was a peasant to do? So here I am, with a tray in my hands, heading towards the elite group of friends who also happen to by 'so called relatives in law'.

"What took you so long?" said the arrogant beauty. "I'm so going to complain about this one. Petty ones like you don't deserve to work in here. We only employ the best in this family. Whoever took you in?" said another. "Now vanish from my sight!"

Not wasting a single moment, I move away from the gossiping ladies. But not before hearing a last piece of conversation, "I'm so excited to meet Mason's wife you know. Because they kept the wedding intimate, I never really got to see her." "I'm sure she's beautiful. Or else he wouldn't have chosen her for his wife, considering his numerous affairs in the past." Well, you're in for a surprise bitches. Let the fun begin.

***

My plan was to run from the function, unseen to them all. But the chit-chat of those ladies lifted up my spirit. To show them. To show them that I'm not a weakling that I'd let someone walk over me.

With intentions of giving them a piece of their mind, I go for a bolder look today. Granted, it's not very revealing but fits my body quite gracefully in all the right places. I'm dressed in an elaborate Lehenga, which wraps my body in petals, its hues, all pinks of a rose garden. I don't like pink as much, but as I look at myself in the mirror, I see a blossoming flower, ready to welcome her spring.

Giving myself a minimalistic touch of makeup, my hair coming down my shoulder in slight waves, I'm ready for the evening.

I down the steps in my high ankle straps, my heart filled with giddy excitement. Entering the hall, I give slight cough announcing my present. And with a cool confident aura, I sweep my gaze over the onlookers.

"Hello everyone. I am....

***

I actually intended this chapter to be way longer but; I thought, why not give a cliffhanger instead? *shrugs* Sorry not sorry. I'm so dying to write Mase's pov yk, but doing that would ruin all the fun!

Btw who are your celebrity crushes? Ik it isn't just one XD

Sorry for that notification that showed I published this chap earlier, it was a glitch. My Wattpad's glitching too much uff, I can't even pm anyone unless that person messages me first. Any solutions?

Ignore silly typos and mistakes, my vocabulary is really bad yk. Anygays so..this is it. Hope you enjoy!

Lot's of love,
-R