Chapter 39: true leadership

Start from the beginning

"They're less of a threat. But without them, you're nothing," you explained shortly as you eradicated multiple one after another.

While you took care of them, Todoroki and Yoarashi were arguing pointlessly. You got little context in their bickering, but knew that Orca paralyzed them.

"Oi stop arguing you fuckers. We've got an exam to pass," you grumbled, kicking another sidekick in the ribs. "Oh shit I think I broke it. Sir can you walk?"

"The ribs are a good spot for fighting against villains. But I will take a few points off for both hurting a sidekick and letting your guard down instantly," Orca commented.

"My points don't fucking matter right now. I'm getting him to the med bay, hopefully we can get him safe quickly," you glared at the hero as you dragged the sidekick behind you. While leaving, you gave a stern look to the duo as well.

Words weren't needed to clarify the meaning behind them. They simply shouldn't mess up and act recklessly.

The first person you met at the evacuation centre was Yaoyorozu, who you instantly asked for help in checking the sidekick up.

While the man in front of you was barely conscious, both of you knew he'd be in excruciating pain when he woke up. Neither of you wanted to risk doing anything due to the fear of messing up and making the injury worse.

"He'll need a trip to RG's later. Or the hospital," you sighed as you bandaged up the smaller wounds. From what you could feel, there was little to no internal bleeding and his lungs were safe, though an operation would still be necessary.

"Shirakumo-chan where did you learn all the first aid skills?" Yaoyorozu asked.

"After school activity back in junior high. I knew I'd need it someday, didn't think it'd be like this though," you mumbled in response.

Hordes of students came after you, dropping off more and more HUC members.

After what seemed like forever, an announcement finally came through that only 3 members were left.

"Yaoyorozu-San, I'm going to look for the three members. Could you take care of him?" You asked.

"Of course!" She answered instantly.

With that, you rushed off into where you assumed the three were situated. As kids, you were more inclined to head straight to what met your eye. But when it came to situations like this, you'd often have to dig deep into the rubble to find an answer.

There was only one such spot that was completely covered in rubble.

"Hello? Anyone there?" You called out, trying to listen for a response.

"Please help me, my parents aren't waking up!" You heard a child's voice cry out.

"Alright, I'm coming in. I need you to keep talking to me so I can find you and your parents ok?" You requested, heading into the run down building.

It was like an earthquake had struck the place. Part of it had completely collapsed while the other parts were barely holding up. The kid was in the collapsed area.

Thankfully for you, they seemed to be citizens who lived on the top floor. The dad had a huge piece of concrete placed across his ribs and an open head wound, while the mom was unconscious and had pieces of concrete scattered all over her legs.

"Alright, what's your name? I'm a hero in training, Cloud Nine," you introduced yourself as you began removing the concrete off ofthe parents.

"I'm Rin Amaya," she introduced herself.

"That's a wonderful name Amaya. I'll get mom and dad out of this and then we'll all head to the evacuation zone, ok? There will be doctors and a rescue team who'll help your parents," you informed the child.

You didn't want to say 'it'll be alright' or 'they'll be fine' because you knew that their fate could change at any given moment. And that fate rested on your hands for the time being.

The dad was in a more critical state so you got him out first before getting the mother out. Both were unconscious the entire time, and since Amaya couldn't hold them, you floated them behind you with a cloud.

"Do you want to sit with your parents on a cloud or can I carry you? You can also walk if you want," you offered the young girl all the options. She opted for a piggy back from you.

"Alright, sounds good," you nodded. You got her parents out first, making sure they got to safety, before carrying the kid with you.

She fell asleep as soon as you picked her up, heading lolling down over your shoulder. You didn't mind too much and walked on to the rescue point.

Boy was your class surprised when they saw you holding three refugees, all bloody and bruised, while being all scratched up yourself.

"The exam's over innit?" You asked, gesturing to the last three.

"Yeah, we got the announcement a while ago. You must've been underground," Mina responded.

You smiled at that as you set the three HUC members down. Class after class, everyone flooded into the waiting room to have their injuries tended to.

Simply put, Recovery Girl was not happy with you.

Question of the day: what's your best school subject?