I Legolas: The Prince of Woodland Realm

~ I: Prologue ~

~ Part One ~

~ Legolas: The Prince of Woodland Realm ~

 - - -

Through action, a man becomes a hero.

Through death, a hero becomes a legend.

Through time, a Legend becomes a Myth.

And by learning from the Myth, a man takes action.

Imladris, 3018 TA, September 29

The Prince of Mirkwood rode with his men from the Elvenking's Halls days ago. They turned east following down the Old Forest Road. They ran into a few groups of orcs several times. They fought their way through. Until today, their journey has been comfortable and cheerful as they followed the narrow strip of naked earth among the giants of root and leaf. They felt the darkness surround them, and the grey mist pointing out the dangers that were hidden.

Their destination was close; the elves reached the Gates of the Elven town in the Misty Mountains on the eastern edge of Eriador. Pine trees grew on the top of the valley, and the autumn colours were warm as ever. A small cluster of elegant Elven Buildings sitting in a Shangri-la like Valley below towering cliffs and snow-capped mountains. Legolas closed his eyes, breathing the freedom and fresh air around him. As a Wooden Elf, he had missed being surrounded by Nature. His home had changed a lot over the centuries. It was no longer as green and alive as it was once. Most of the forest had died, and darkness overtook it. Creatures like Orcs, Goblins, and spiders were growing slowly in most parts. Rivendell was different. Protected by one of the three rings once given by Sauron and Lord Elrond Elven magic, it was safe grounds.

They stopped at the Gates of Rivendell to greet the Elves and announce their arrival. Mirkwood's prince was a regular guest of Elrond Peredhel, especially during the decades he spent with Aragorn. Yet, he had a close friendship with Elladan, Elrohir, and Arwen since he was an elfin. Elladan, Elrohir, and he caused trouble and pranks all over the house of Elrond. A few times even Arwen was dragged into their mess. After his mother had perished and Mirkwood drew into darker days, everything changed. Like his father, Legolas spent his time in Mirkwood protecting the borders. Travelling was a luxury he could not possess.

Elladan and Elrohir rode often far afield with the Rangers of the North, never forgetting their mother's torment in the dens of the orcs. It seemed that both realms Rivendell and Mirkwood lost their ladies to orcs. Painful memories of the house of Elrond and the Halls of Elvenking. And each dealt with their graves on their terms. Yet each time they slay an Orc, it brought some relief to both sides.

The great change came after the battle of the five armies, Thranduil sent Legolas away. He hinted at him to find Aragorn and be by his side. There was a reason the Elvenking had softened. After his wife's death, he hid inside his halls. Legolas, his only son, was the only important thing in his life. Lost in his darkness and grief, he pushed his son far away. He kept him trapped inside Mirkwood. Tauriel's outburst and Gandalf's harsh words brought him back to reality.

Legolas travelled and soughed the ranger that his father asked him. He crossed paths with Aragorn in Rivendell. Since that day, they have spent time together; they fought side by side. And Aragorn and Legolas became trusted friends. Legolas spotted Aragorn's interest around Arwen. And it was only a matter of time until he figured out that his trusted friend was so in love with the daughter of Lord Elrond. It seemed that Arwen shared the same feelings.