Chapter 8: My Heritage

Start from the beginning

   "But, Momma!" I whined, "you know I love that!" Something caught my eyes, a rustling in the bushes to my left. A handsome man stood behind it, and gave me a friendly smile. I blushed and waved back, and ran to Momma. "Momma, who's that man behind the bushes?"

    She looked around and smoothed my hair back. "Babe, I don't see anything."  When she said that, a crease formed on her forehead. She gently pushed me inside, and I looked back. There he was, watching over. In a protective way, a loving way.

     Beau, the man watching me play for many years was Beau? I thought to myself as I pulled up to the park. A shiver ran through me, he has always been around that means. I groaned and pushed my head into the steering wheel. I heard a tapping noise on my passenger window, jolting me to life. I looked over to see Devin with a Cheshire grin. I waved at him and put the Audi in park and turned the ignition off. 

    I stepped out of the car and pulled my personally designed jacket closer. "Hey," I said. I walked up to him and we walked to the park bench together.

    "Hi," he replied, as he sat down on the bench and stared off at the swans in the pond. He turned towards me with a serious look. "Where should I start?"

   "Faylinn," I replied. I wanted to know everything about where I came from, everything from the major to the minor things. 

    He nodded and started his story. "Okay, so you were born in Faylinn to the rulers of the Moon Court, Breena and Aubrey. You have been born from them many, many times. They give birth to you every fifty years because you suddenly disappear on your fiftieth birthday, it's a curse so to say." He said, and I remembered when Beau said that it was fate for that to happen. "So they usually give you to a mortal couple to raise you until your eighteenth, then after that you find out and poof. Back to Faylinn for you." He chuckled at the last part, but I was way to fascinated to laugh back. "I'm not sure why in this life you learned so late, usually you learn when you are sixteen. I believe it is because when you reached that age you had too much going on, and chose to ignore." True, I thought to myself. 

    "But, Devin, did you know about me prior to us meeting a few weeks ago?" I asked, I was quite curious.

    "I have known about you, but never met you. Which it's quite an honor meeting the next ruler of the Moon Court. In Faylinn schools, we were taught about you. Your raven black hair," he said, as he ran a hand through my hair. "Your pale flawless skin," he lightly traced my jawbone. "And your lips as crimson as fresh blood." When he said that, he made a smooching sound. 

    "The people of Faylinn know about me?" I asked, quite shocked.

   "Yeah, and there is something else. Royalty is immortal, except for you. Well technically you are, because you end up coming back from up there." He gestured to the sky, implying heaven. "All the other fairies in Faylinn live for 200 years. I am currently on my sixtieth year." He smiled proudly as he said that.

    "Are you kidding me? You are sixty?" I asked bewildered, considering I was barley eighteen. He barley looked twenty. 

    "Everyone in Faylinn stops physically aging after their twentieth birthday," he replied with a shrug. "Even you," he quickly added. 

   I couldn't believe what I was hearing, this was all too intriguing. "So-- can you tell me why my parents give me to a mortal family for eighteen years?" I asked, even though I knew it was because of war. I still wanted more details. 

    He sighed and rubbed the back of his neck, as if preparing for a long story. "Well, it happens every time you are born. There is a war between the Sun and Moon Courts. It's because of your birth, you are said to be the most powerful fairy in Faylinn because of your rareness. You are the only night fairy left in existence. It's a huge threat to the Sun Court. Considering they are all very light people, you are their polar opposite-- darkness." I gasped when he said that, is he implying I am evil? "In your past lives though, you have defeated anything. You are an amazing leader. I've seen you lead once before, but we never met like this." He sighed and gave me a small smile. "I am from the Sunset Court, it's an in between Court. We rebelled from your Court once and they booted us. Though, we are on your side so to say. The other in between Court is the Sunrise Court, same thing happened, but they are more with the Sun Court." He paused for a moment and switched the subject. "So do you still have your pendant with you?"