Divide

Cinder scraped the claws of her Grimm hand against an airship seat to the same slow rhythm of the girl scrubbing the floor. Neo was sitting in the seat, piloting the airship. Thunder rumbled, and red lightning illuminated the dark clouds ahead, revealing Monstra. Focused on the whale, Cinder moved to her right to stand between the pilot's and co-pilot's seats.

Cinder: There.

Neo looked at Cinder and then at the whale with a frown. The airship flew past Manticores and Teryxes, soon arriving at a landing bay within the whale's flesh. She landed the ship on the platform furthest to the left.

Some time later, Neo and Cinder walked up a set of bone stairs, leading to a large chamber. In the middle of this chamber, Salem was sitting on a throne made of bone. Neo stopped and stared with her mouth slightly open, before walking forward to stand beside Cinder. She watched as Cinder kneeled and placed her right hand to her chest.

Cinder: My queen.

Salem stood from her throne and turned to face Cinder.

Salem: Cinder.

Salem slowly descended the steps of the platform on which her throne rested.

Salem: When I chose you as my vessel for the Maidens, I put my trust in you. So, I trust that you wouldn't possibly return to me empty-handed.

Cinder held out the Relic of Knowledge.

Cinder: The Relic of Knowledge. I took it right from under Ironwood's nose.

Upon hearing this, Neo blinked her eyes rapidly in disbelief and looked at Cinder with an indignant expression. She then crossed her arms and glared. Tyrian's voice then drew her attention.

Tyrian: Outsmarting the general speaks less to your intellect and... more to his.

Tyrian stepped out from the shadows behind Cinder while Salem took the Lamp. He began walking across the room.

Tyrian: After all, you were outsmarted by those children first.

Cinder: And according to radio chatter, that same general and his forces outsmarted you. A shame Watts never made it back.

Tyrian: I'm afraid the doctor was a necessary sacrifice. *points his tail at Neo* I do hope this little one doesn't become another.

Neo glared at Tyrian and lowered her arms with her fists clenched. Cinder turned to look at Salem, who adopted a look of suspicious curiosity as she spoke.

Salem: Who is she?

Cinder: Neopolitan has some very useful abilities and has proven to be a valuable asset.

Neo looked somewhat upset by Cinder's use of the word "asset".

Salem: Hm, you certainly do enjoy collecting assets.

Neo lowered her gaze, clearly displeased. The squelching noise of the nearby membrane door catched her attention, and she turned to see Emerald, Mercury, Edelgard and Hazel entering the room. Edelgard looked very annoyed to see her. Upon laying eyes on Cinder, Emerald smiled.

Emerald: Cinder.

Emerald began running across the chamber toward Cinder.

Emerald: You're here! I knew you'd co--

Cinder: Quiet.

Emerald stopped with a hurt expression on her face, glancing at Tyrian who clicked his tongue in disappointment.

Tyrian: So devoted to someone so incompetent. While the good doctor and I were advancing the will of our goddess, dismembering the very body of this kingdom... you were merely atoning for past failures.