~The Battle of Exegol~

A/N—this chapter is... a lot. So I would recommend not reading it in public.

Kylo releases a shaky breath, eyes searching your face for any signs of reluctance. His shoulders sag in defeat upon finding none. His hand lifts to find the side of your face. "I can't lose you again. But you... you can't go alone."

"Then come with me," you plead again softly, scooting in closer to settle your hand on the side of his neck. "We can do this. Together. Please, Kylo." Your lips tug upwards into a saddened smile. "One last adventure. You and me."

He presses his forehead against yours, allowing his eyes to slide shut. Kylo swallows thickly, knowing he didn't truly have a choice. Wherever you went, he would follow. He knew that if he didn't allow you to do this, you might never forgive him. After all you had done for him, the least he could do was return the favor. Besides, you had been right, you would do the same for him if given the opportunity. "Alright... I'll go with you."

"I love you," you whisper gratefully, planting a kiss on his scarred cheek. "Thank you for understanding."

"We leave tomorrow morning."

"To Exegol," you nod.

"To Exegol."

~

Heat pounds on your heads as you clear up the remnants of last night's makeshift camp site. There was a strange kind of tension hanging in the air; anticipation of what was to come. The three of you must have spent hours pouring over the plan. As simple as it was, there could be no room for error.

Trudgen would take a pod up to the Order ship in hopes of stealing a shuttle once he managed to locate the trading base that Kylo found nearby. Both of you anticipated your ship getting shot down the moment you entered the atmosphere; you couldn't risk being spotted so easily. You and Kylo would go to Exegol alone. If anything went wrong, he had already been instructed to leave you both behind. If all went well, he could take the shuttle down, pick you up, and flee.

This would be the end. No more First Order nonsense. No thrones, no titles. Just a regular life; something you both yearned for. Best case scenario, both you and Kylo made it out alive. Worst case scenario, well, you didn't like to think about it.

Perhaps in another life, you both could have been ruling the First Order together. Without Palpatine or General Pryde or any of the other traitors who took part in this charade. Just the Emperor and Empress sitting side by side. Perhaps this would have been a reality.

But only in another life.

As you wipe your clammy hands on the fabric of your pants, you realize that you had been much more nervous all morning than you originally thought. The inside of your cheek had practically been chewed to shreds by now, the tang of blood resting on your tongue. You sit atop an old log, swiftly lacing up your boots and trying your best to keep your mind off of what lay ahead. With your nerves and overactive mind, however, that was more difficult than anticipated.

You look up, thoughts interrupted when Kylo Ren kneels before you. His eyes don't leave yours as he grasps your leg, lifting it to press your foot against his muscled thigh. He quickly laces up your leather boots, fingers fumbling with the knot. He pats your covered ankle, giving you the faintest of reassuring smiles.

"I feel like I'm going to be sick," you admit quietly. "He knows we're coming. I can feel it."

Kylo pulls you to your feet, frowning softly as you wince and lean forward to support your weight against his chest. "This is a bad idea. You're still hurt."