23 - The Odd One Of The Family

"What is this?" I demanded. "Why does it say that Lilia is your first child? She's younger!"

Mom gasped. "Oh honey..."

Lilia and Dad looked away, avoiding my gaze.

"What is this?" I asked once more.

"Honey...you're adopted..." Mom revealed.

I felt my world shatter.

...

...

...

"I need a moment to clear my head." I decided. I turned away, stomping outside of the house.

"Honey, wait!" I heard Mom cry out, but I didn't stop.

I need some alone time right now.

I left the house as quickly as I could, sitting down outside. I can't believe it! I guess this is why I looked different from the others.

...I'm upset.

Not about the fact that I'm adopted.

That they lied to me. When were they going to tell me?! I'm sixteen already! If not now, then when?

Would they have ever told me..?

...

Who am I? Does this have anything to do with the System?

I went to check the System's progress, which was shown in a small loading bar at the very bottom right of my vision.

[50%]

It's still going to be a while before it updates.

"Hey, you alright?" I heard John ask, sitting next to me.

"I don't know..." I sighed. "Did I overreact?"

"I don't think so. I mean, you did basically find out your whole life is a lie." John replied.

"Man, that sure makes me feel better." I said, rolling my eyes.

John chuckled. "Adopted or not, they're your family. They didn't want you to know so they could protect you."

"..." I stayed silent, mulling over John's words.

"...Thanks." I softly said.

"No problem. I'm not just your best friend for nothing, ya know?" John replied.

I chuckled. "Yeah, you aren't. That's for sure."

The two of us laughed together.

"I'm heading back inside. Come on in whenever you fell you're ready." John said, standing back up and walking inside.

They were just trying to protect me, weren't they?

...

I need answers. Who am I? Maybe that can help answer my questions about why I have this System. Maybe my...birth family was connected to the supernatural.

This sudden reveal has left me with too many questions.

I sat outside for a little longer, enjoying the sunlight. I just needed some time to cool off.

I stood up, and walked back inside. When I arrived everybody turned to look at me. I looked to Mom and asked her one question.

"Who am I?"

The room was completely silent, before Mom finally answered my question.

"I don't know." She revealed.