It's A Wonderful Afterlife: Chapter 6- The Happy Hotel

After a much-needed nap on the couch, my sister was once perched on I awoke to find myself alone. I called out for Molly but she was nowhere to be seen. I rubbed my face to eradicate the sleep from my eyes. Out of habit I looked for my fedora but recalled that I had left it behind at the Aranea crash site.

Crash site? Aranea? Pen?

Pen...

What in all of Hell happened to you? The conversation flooded back to me of Molly breaking the news to me that Pen was Overlord. Pentious...my Pen was a tyrannical Overlord. Save to say he did not take my erasure well and went on this rampage of power. Still...what happened?

I stood up stretching all my arms. I took my jacket off and unbuttoned my collar to crack my neck and then I was taken by surprise by the obnoxious growl of my stomach. Despite being alone I blushed thinking someone could have heard it. Fixing my shirt buttons as I started to walk around the foyer of the hotel. As I looked at the decrepit building it made me saddened to see the place that was a somewhat symbol of 'hope' for sinners in this state. I looked around to the seating area by the giant fireplace where what felt like not that long ago I came to visit Anthony. It was beyond bizarre to hear the Princess praise him when nobody had ever done that. Not even myself...fuck.

I then came to the grand staircase seeing it in tatters and the once bright red carpet peeling off the steps. Glancing over at the elevator cage it was clearly out of service being embedded in the hardwood flooring. I started the climb of the stairs to the first floor of the rooms. The howling of the wind was more prominent; the rattling of a loose door was more noticeable once on the landing. I decided to go to the left of the hallway where Anthony's room would have been.

Passing the other rooms, one was covered in bottles and cans covered in dust, clearly that bartender's room. Then on my right was a room filled with old-time radios. Shit...the Radio Demon's room. I got a chill standing in the doorway of the room as one radio flickered. However, it felt empty despite the creepy atmosphere, which made me move on quickly to the next bedroom on the left. The door was closed and had a heart door plate hanging on it with "Angel" written on it. I took a deep sigh reading that name he picked, why that name? I shuddered as I placed my hand on the door handle to unearth Anthony's room. Upon opening it the window was cracked and a small gap made the air whistle through it. Walking into the room the dulled pink of the walls and practically everything in the decor was grimy from time. Looking around the room I saw the vanity and sat on the small stool. Funny I never sat down to look through Anthony's things before? Kind of like how he used to do it to Mom's things...

I fiddled with the toppled lipstick containers and perfume bottles. The mirror was so old there was no reflection and then I saw some photo frames toppled over. I picked up the first one on my right to find a photo of myself and Anthony doing one of those selfies he liked so much. Jeez, am I always that grumpy? I stood it up placing it back then picking up the next mysterious photo...it was me and Pen?
I remember Anthony stalked us to be nosey about our date and snapped a photo of us. I chuckled under my breath remembering that and looking at Pen in that photoset in stone how much I loved him. Putting that back I unveiled the last frame...it was of all three of us.
Molly and Anthony being their quirky selves and Molly picking me up. Jesus, do I lash out that much at them? Looking at all the photos I noticed I...do not smile. I was grumpy, annoyed or irritated by the wholesomeness.
Why do they all want me in their lives if I am just a temperamental prick?

Perusing the room as I sat seeing all of Anthony's well "Angel's" achievements from his film career. Dusty and outdated they looked so abandoned, which is a good thing in my opinion. I always felt Anthony never liked being 'Angel' as much as he let on to be. I felt like he used it as a facade to escape us...his family. I got up to look at the faded torn provocative poster of my little brother and sighed somberly. We were not the best at accepting who he was...especially me more than Pops. How did this place become so run down? What happened to the Princess and her family?

"Nissy!! Nissy!! I got ya some food!!" Molly called from downstairs returning from Hell knows where. I left my little brother's room seeing the person he once was...I will have to face Overlord Angel Dust again and I doubt it will be as timid as our first.

Making my way downstairs to see my now poltergeist little sister...I do not think I will get used to that. "Alright your faves are most likely gone, closed down or the owner was erased. So I got ya a meatball sub from this new place, Little Roma. I think I tried it before I was redeemed but I hope you like it." Molly handed me a foil-wrapped roll and I gave a half-smile and sat back on the couch I had napped on.

"Mols? Can I ask ya something?" I asked looking at the food on my lap "Have I always been grouchy or ill-tempered towards you?" anxiety reeked in the undertone of my voice. "What? What are ya talking about? Niss don't be silly" she giggled slightly but she read me way too easy. Easier than most people but she is my sister, Molly floated over to me and her demeanour changed to match the mood. "Well Niss, you were always following Daddy...even if it was by force. You cannot blame yourself for being made into another of him? However, around me and Angie you did soften a little bit, to be honest, it was hilarious to get you to snap as you do!" she laughed and then cupped my cheeks with her phantom hands.
"You had a harder life than Angie and I. You were made this way Niss not allowed to figure yourself out. So when people are nice or kind-hearted to you. You always felt like you did not deserve it. Especially with that snake-boo of yours, he was the best thing to happen to you. He kneaded those thick walls down and you allowed him in...I know so much that I did not need to know but alas I do" she winked and smirked at me as a blush beamed on my cheeks as he held them. "What? The Big Guy upstairs has this memory pool thing and I saw plenty".

I was rigid with embarrassment that my little sister knew things of my love life from the past, but she was right about all of it. Pops did try to make me just like him and I never got to have the childhood my younger siblings had. They were much more free will and less discipline than me, my stunted growth did not aid my masculine expectations either with Pops. I always had to prove myself and build a body that represented that for Pops. "Heh...w-what did you see Molly?" I blushed and felt myself getting hot. "Now, now Niss you know! Regardless of you being a raunchy noodle lover, it's not your fault that Pops made you the way you are...Penny however has made you a little softer." she gave a soft smile as she let go of my cheeks. She went off to sit on the stool I was once on and encouraged me to open the meatball sub. Unwrapping the meatball sub it was heavenly to take in the aroma of the food. I was famished and I dove into that sub like it was the last thing I would ever eat.

"Wow...such a slob" Molly giggled as she sat there watching me eat as if there was not much to do in the abandoned Happy Hotel. Once I had eaten it was so satisfying to eat something and I met Molly's eyes.
"Molly...why were Anthony's photos all face down? They all had me in them." I looked at her perplexed and she mirrored my expression. "Facedown? That is very unlike Angie? You found them here?"
"Uh...yeah up in his room on the vanity." as I finished my sentence Molly was gone and went up through the ceiling into the room above. She came back and felt haunted by being in Angel's room. "I think...he did that to not remember the pain of losing us." We both grew silent and the ambience was broken by the sound of an announcement being blared over the city.
The hotel was in a secluded part of the city and had one drone float by booming this alert in a familiar voice.

"ATTENTION ALL PENTAGRAM CITY! AN IMPOSTER IS ROAMING THE CITY! THIS HAS BEEN BROUGHT TO THE ATTENTION OF OVERLORD PENTIOUS AND IF YOU FIND A SMALL, DARK GRAY SPIDER, SUIT AND COULD BE ARMED AND DANGEROUS! DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT ERASE! CAPTURE ON SITE! REPORT TO ME...LIEUTENANT PYTHON"

It hovered away from the site and I peered out in fear. "Was that...was that Monty? It did not sound like him at all." I looked at my sister who was very concerned. "Guess this makes moving around more difficult."
"No shit Sherlock! Now, ya got Lieutenant Python hunting you...that is not just difficult he is a bloodhound, Niss. Nobody knows how or why Monty is the way he is, he just suddenly agreed to do whatever Sir Pentious did."
"Well, they were lovers at one point. Does not surprise me they reconnect again after my passing. I honestly would want Pen to find love again if or...have? I do not know this timeline stuff is confusing!" I ran my hands through my hair and took a deep breath and sigh.

"Great...I am being hunted...by one of my best friends. Molly, what are we going to do?"

Molly looked at me and then had this sparkle in her eyes, "I've got an idea! You are not going to like Niss."
"Why won't I like it?" I looked at her confused and worried.
"I know a guy who can help us!" She was clapping with glee and I do not like the sound of my ghost sister having a 'friend'.