It's A Wonderful Afterlife- Chapter 1: Consequences

After every gig with a client who wants some asshole dead I always find the drive home both a relief and stressful. Coming down from that killer instinct can take a lot out of anyone even if you have been doing it for years.
I always knew I'd be in Hell but little did I know there was going to be no resting or peace for that matter.

I sit in my car before heading back taking the few moments to come down from that intense focus. This day in particular had a slight annoying factor however. My baby brother Anthony...

"Nissy I told ya to aim for the fucker in the chest not his damn eye! Yuck! I just bought this new outfit too. I get all dolled up for our brotherly bonding missions and you have to get some goat mother fucker's blood on me!'

I pinched my brows trying to not explode with annoyance or rage. I got the job done. Who cares about a damn dress! Buy another one or clean it! Anthony never understood the pressure I was constantly under when we were alive. The expectations and the constant beatings even if I did good or right by Pops. It was always because I called Anthony my brother still. No matter his lifestyle choices but today I was just not having it. I did not want to take this job in the first place...Anthony's boss wanted this dude killed and spilt the money.

"ANTHONY! I do not care if the guy is erased ok!? Why are you like this? You do not know the amount of times in our life or this one where I have had to save your sorry ass! You can be unbearable at times! I sometimes wish I was not your brother but I am so I got responsibilities beyond just you and Molly?! Did you know I was supposed to be on a date tonight with Pen?" Anthony opens his mouth to speak but I continue. "YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A COMMITMENT IS LIKE? To a person or family! You just do your own thing and be this..."

In my life and now I have only called Anthony this once...and I regret it everyday. The last time I called him such an insult...I found him the next day lifeless in bed. I could not stop the words escaping my mouth until I saw his face.

"You just do your own thing and be this frocio!"
I slapped my hand over my mouth in horror at what I called Anthony. He looked at me the same way he did the day before he passed. Nothing was said but he left my car and stormed off.
I would have gone after him but I could not face him right after that moment. I called him 'that'! He is so much more than that filthy word but I had to get home to Pen.

I started the engine and just drove...not looking back.

The drive back to my home was tense. I just wanted to scream but if I did I would lose my cooldown. I took the long way home just driving around to get my head on straight.
Pulling up to the safe house and seeing Pen's ship floating above always brought me a pleasant warmth over my tense body. I rubbed my face and ran my hands through my hair unwinding from the job and Anthony.
I get out and make my way to the house opening the door with my keys.

The house was dark and smelt of the dinner that was cooked hours before.
"Pen? Pen are you here?" I called out to the empty house. He must be on his ship so I put my stuff down and headed out the backdoor to see the lift to Pen's ship...up? What? Why was his lift up?

I went back into the kitchen to see a walkie talkie on the kitchen table with a beautiful calligraphy written note that read "Call me if you want to come up. Pen xxxx". A slight smile came across my lips as I picked up the walkie talkie.
"Pen? Uh...ya there 💜"

There was little no sound on the radio but soft static and I was about to try again when I heard the click of someone replying.

"Nissy? It's 3 in the morning...where have you been?" A sleepy voice spoke from the other side.

"Hey Pen I'm sorry I missed our date...got a little out of hand is all? Were you asleep? Didn't mean to wake you just the lift isn't down"

"Oh //yawn// no I was at my desk and passed out" I could hear the shuffling of paper and the sleepy voice of Sir Pentious. "//yawn// Number 3 open the lift for Nissy. I'll see you in a few moments my sweet sniper 💜".