Chapter Fifty-One: Plans

Start from the beginning

"Okay." Sam's mind raced, trying to piece together the most efficient way to do this. "Eric, Adam, I'll drop you off by your mom. Once you're good to go, call us, and we'll come join you when we're ready. And if things don't work out, just let us know and we'll go from there."

"Sounds good," Eric said. Adam nodded in agreement.

Sam tapped a finger against the steering wheel. "And Raveena?"

Raveena looked up.

"If I drop you here, do you want to try to find other altered?" Sam asked. "Even if they aren't ready to come with us now, you can let them know they have a place to go if they need somewhere to stay. Or want to help us."

"Yeah. I can try," Raveena replied.

"Here." Veronica handed Raveena her phone. "I can use Sam's if I need to until we pick you back up."

"Thanks."

Sam let Raveena out, then continued until they reached the Ackermans' mom's car. Eric and Adam waved goodbye as they climbed out.

Minutes later, Sam spotted his and Veronica's car parked by the side of the road. Mom and Dad stood next to it, and Simon leaned out the rear window. His face lit up when he spotted the van, and he shouted something to get their parents' attention.

Sam pulled over. "Is Summer okay to get out?" he asked.

"I'll wait in here until my parents show up," Summer replied. "You guys can go."

Veronica shook her head. "I don't think you should be alone right now." She pulled open her door. "Our parents can come over here."

Sam nodded and climbed out.

"Are you kids okay?" Mom asked as she and Dad approached.

"Yeah. We're exhausted, but we're okay." Sam rushed forward to hug her. "Veronica's in the van with Summer," he added as he pulled back.

Dad wrapped an arm around Sam in a quick embrace as they started toward the vehicle. "What happened to the van?" he asked.

"Uh, we're not totally sure," Sam said lamely. "It probably shouldn't go on any long road trips any time soon, though."

"Well, that's not important right now," Dad said. "What matters is that we're all safe. And together."

"Right," Veronica muttered as she leaned through the open door. "Together." She looked at Sam.

"Yeah, uh." Sam cleared his throat. "So. Um. Our powers, right?"

Mom frowned, her expression somehow managing to take on even more concern than it already had. "Does the evacuation have to do with that? Because no one will tell us what's happening. The evacuation order wasn't clear, and—"

"It's sort of related," Sam interrupted before she could start on a frantic tangent. "It's hard to explain, but there are other people with powers, and there was this fight for something at the lab."

"And now people are after us." Veronica held up her hand and counted off on her fingers. "SCI, who happens to be a part of the government, a secret organization called Scorpion, oh, and that Malcolm guy, whatever his deal is."

"But there are people who want to help us, too." Sam quickly ran through everything that had happened with the Newmans, including their offer for other kids to stay with them on the Fortuna. He kept all the other details as vague as possible, mentioning that Scorpion was after them, but leaving out the part where they broke into the lab and fought the government.

"Where are these Newmans now?" Dad asked.

"On their way to meet us," Sam replied.

Mom folded her arms. "After everything that just happened, you want to run off with people you barely know?"