Chpt 26

I lay there trying not to fall back asleep. It was getting close to dawn and I didn't want to get up yet because I tended to get a bit shaky when the sun first rose. Eventually though, I became fully awake and just had to lie there, waiting for the sun. Before I could get up, I heard the lock on my door shift and click open, I snapped my eyes shut and took on a relaxed posture. The person who sneaked in had a very toady smell. No I'm kidding, I could see who it was through lowered lashes and all that pink rotundity could only belong to one person.

She 'sneaked' across the room, and I heard her mutter a spell, it was one of the few that I knew from the first syllable. I thought the spell that quietly shut hers down and played along, "What is your name?" She whispered.

"Elisa Carmichael," I said in a mumble that sounded believably asleep.

"And are you human?" She asked with baited breathe.

"Yes," I was certain it had been a truth spell and she sounded pleased, maybe a little disappointed by her results. She trotted back out of the room muttering to herself and locking the door behind her, I shot up and growled at the smell she had left lingering in my room, it was a heady perfume that clung to everything.

I eventually managed to motivate myself to get dressed, and even though the sun was still beneath the horizon, I walked out of my room and went around the school, sure enough most of the staff's rooms had been given the same treatment as mine, the cloying scent sticking like glue to the air. I was going to be sick. Wandering past the staircase up to Dumbledores' office and had a quick chat with the gargoyle, sure enough; Umbridge had been trying to get up there as well.

I was on my way to the Great Hall when the sun finally coughed into life in the east. I almost tossed my cookies but managed to hold them down while sitting in an empty classroom, no doubt people would start waking soon so I walked (okay I admit I was hobbling... a bit, but that just isn't very classy). My ears picked up a bustling in the massive room and I walked through the huge doors to the teachers table. I felt at home. A few students were up and I found the familiar sight of Minerva sitting at the table reading the Daily Prophet and sipping at a cup of tea. "Morning dear," she said without looking up,

"Morning," I took a croissant from a large tray of pastries and put some jam in it and taking a bite, I looked over to see what the headlines on the paper where, but McGonagall was staring at me, I couldn't fathom why, she'd seen me eat before. Although admittedly I didn't very often, opting to stay in my room during dinner.

She frowned but shrugge and went back to her paper. My eyes began to sting and I felt a shiver run down my spine. "If you'll excuse me?" I stood and walked sedately back to my room, spellotaped to my door was an infamous pink slip of disgustingly smelly paper. I pulled it from my door cautiously; it hopped into life in my grasp.

"Dear Elisa," It began. "I was hoping that you would indulge me in your company at two o'clock, yours loyally, Dolores." I rolled my eyes and pushed the door open. I walked into the shower, stripping off my clothes and stepping under the warm water. The shampoo was my favourite; it smelt of cinnamon and manufactured soap. The cinnamon didn't smell the same as the natural product, but I wasn't in the mood. I just wanted to have a calming shower and forget about the troubles of the school.