60. The Mastermind

Start from the beginning

"So Ben was right," Roe muttered.

"It doesn't matter. He needs the cure," I said as I watched my love grow smaller.

He was thrashing around so much I didn't dare to go too close, but as soon as his claws vanished, I hurried to his aid. He fell unconscious when he was more human than a beast, and I sat down to pull him into my arms.

"Those bastards..." I hissed when I saw countless wounds on his half-naked body.

We hadn't seen any scientists around... They must've escaped. That was my new mission. I'd hunt them down and make them all suffer.

"I'll go check how things are going elsewhere," Roe said, and vanished.

Dante's transformation was complete. I took the collar off him, tossing it aside, and watched him closely, especially his wounds. They weren't healing... I was once again suffocating in my rage. His body had just recovered! He had been able to heal fast, but it was now ruined! Again!

I wanted to go find them all, but I needed to stay here. I needed to calm down. I hugged him carefully, trying to focus on having him back in my arms. I would never let anyone take him away from me again. I now had the power to protect him from anything. No one would ever be able to steal my magic from me, either.

I'd kill anyone and everyone who dared to touch him...

"Bad news," Roe spoke, appearing next to us. "The rassawolves are still going strong, and one of them is stalling the evacuation. Our people and the victims are pinned in the laboratory and the enemy is getting through."

I wanted to tell him to deal with it and leave me alone with Dante, but my love would want me to help them. He'd want to be there to help the other victims.

"Can you take Dante away from here?" I asked.

"I can," he nodded.

"Take him to Njizrski. Make sure he's safe," I said, giving my unconscious lover to him.

My heart quivered in pain when they disappeared. I couldn't stand being away from Dante even for a second, but I needed to fulfill his will. I'd save these people for him.

"Right – where the fuck do I need to go?" I asked, looking left and right in the hallway.

Since there was only the altar and Dante's cage on the left, I started running to the other end. I needed to find the person who was controlling the rassawolves.

"Roe? I need Arthyzn. He knows what the handler looks like."

"Give me a second..."

"Sure, it's not like our entire army isn't about to lose their lives."

"Less sass, please. I'm carrying your boyfriend."

"Don't you dare drop him," I hissed.

I reached the end of the hallway and hurried through the door, ready to burn everyone and everything in another hallway behind it, but it was empty. This whole place seemed empty. There weren't any windows, so I wasn't sure if I was underground or above the surface, but it did look like I was far away from the actual battle. I could only hear explosions, nothing else.

"Roe, I need you to teleport me to the right place," I said.

"I'm looking for Arthyzn. Can you give me a minute?" He sounded annoyed.

I sighed and hurried through the hallway. I found an elevator at the end of it, behind a corner. The elevator had several buttons, and apparently I was on the bottom floor, so I pressed the rest of the buttons. The elevator started rising slowly, stopping on each floor. I didn't see anything interesting, not until I stopped at the second to last one, and Eru was behind it.