Chaoter: 40 - Eight Years Later

Tru Colton

Tru Colton

This time of year, always get's hard. The anniversary of his death sprung on us too quick. "Mom." Valentina came tumbling into the kitchen. "Mom, I can't find my shoes." She groaned, holding her coat in her hand. "Where did you last put them baby?" She furrowed her brows looking down to the ground. "I don't know they where on my feet!" I smirked looking down at her then reached down and picked her up.

"Well baby, maybe you should try to put them away properly next time." I sat her on the kitchen island then placed a small kiss on her nose. She wasn't like me, she already had so much attitude. Just like Ashton. Or he would always say that it was me who she got her attitude from. "Mom!" Monte and Royal yelled in unison. What did I do to deserve this?

"Yes, I'm in the kitchen with Valentina." They both came in, pushing each other as they did. "Monte hit me!" Royal cried, walking over to me. "No, I didn't you little brat! You ran in to the room while I was doing homework, so I gently pushed you out." He shrugged. Just like his father.

"That's not how we deal with things in the house hold Monte!" I scolded. "Tell that to my idiot of a brother mom! He always hits me." He rolled his eyes, walking over to stand beside Royal. I lifted Valentina off the counter and placed her down.

The kids only had four years between them, but by god every single one of them came out with Ashton's looks and attitude. So sassy.

I looked down to Monte – the oldest in his cute little black jeans and white shirt, Royal who was his mini me being only 6 he had already adapted a lot of Ashton's qualities. Not so like Monte, who cared more about school and his education over the mafia. Then my little Valentina, she was only 4, she had my long dark brown curls, bright blue eyes just like Ashton and I, and the slim build that we both adopted.

"I'm not having this argument right now. All of you go find your shoes and coats and put them on. Wait by the door and Nario will pull the car round for us." With a few mumps and moans they each stood up and walked into the hallway, arguing now over who's shoes where who's.

I chuckled lightly at them, then made my way to Ashton's office. A place I hadn't been for a while. Not since that night. That night that I so easily killed a man and felt no remorse. However, clearly Monte did with the sickness that I experienced all through my pregnancy with him.

I slowly pushed opened the door to Ashton's office and made my way inside. My eye's immediately found the empty place where the table used to sit. Now it just had a black rug covering it. A picture frame of Ashton and I on our 'wedding day' was sat on the bar area, the same place where I had crashed a bottle over the man's head.

"What are you thinking about?" His voice came from behind me. I turned and was met with my husband leaning against the door frame dressed in and all black suit with a white shirt – just like always.