• Stage Fear and Camera Fear •

Stage fear: That feeling of anxiety felt when you are on the stage, also before standing on the stage.

Camera fear: That unsettling feeling, as if you can't utter a word, in front of a camera.

13 March, 2021:
I had practiced my speech for hours and hours in front of the mirror. I guess I'd stuttered a million times. But still, at last, I felt that I was perfect.
This was my very first opportunity and I didn't want to lose it. I was nervous, immensely nervous. My hands were sweaty, and I was literally shaking all the while.
Still, I was determined as I wanted to complete my dreams. And this was the biggest opportunity and wasting it would cost a fortune.
And at last I decided to go on top. I climbed the stage though the only thought in my head at that very moment was to run away.
Standing there on top, I didn't even have the courage to raise my eyes, just cast downward. And when I couldn't speak for a minute or two which felt like an hour, their taunts and curses were heard. I was feeling lightheaded but knew better than to show it. The curtains were now fully open while my heart was ready to leap out of my body and though I was scared with the flashes going on, I began speaking in a meek voice. I stuttered a few times but at last I completed my speech for the event. It was a small beginning for sure but it was still a beginning.

Standing on the top, I could hear their words
Echoing through my head, their taunts and curses
That darkness from besides me was engulfing me
And the curtains were still being pulled up
My heart was beating erratically just not ready to settle
I could hear each footstep, each sound as if magnified
And I was stumped, with my whole body paralyzed
There were so many of them here, in front of me
Along with the frightening device recording me
That camera, I loved to click landscape pictures
Was right now appearing like a planned death trap
And the stage where I was standing, the lion's mouth
And with all eyes upon me, I knew I couldn't escape
©maanvi_bhagat
maanvibhagat

Facing stage fear and camera isn't easy at all. But can you let them be a hindrance when it comes to your dreams? It's not so easy to face them (from personal experience). Still, you can always try on a small scale.

1.Start with practicing in front of a mirror. Talk with yourself while facing yourself.
2. Try maintaining eye contact with people close to you.
3. Speak in front of your family/ close friends.
4. Try sharing your thoughts with people little by little.
5. Participate in group events.
6. Try to socialize more.
7. Try giving answers during classes in front of your classmates.
8.Record videos using selfie mode and you can see them yourself.
9.Try recording your voice as if you are starting a podcast.
10. Last but not the least, be self confident.

 Last but not the least, be self confident

A fear doesn't make you any less. But still, it affects your mental health. That's why, try to be a bit better. It's not necessary for you to overcome it. You are perfect just the way you are.