It was fate

Madi continued to hold tightly onto Ryan. She had wondered whether Murphy and Emori would be worried at her disappearance and while this was the case, she had no idea that the rest of her family as she called it, had been held, hostage. 

She took a deep breath again and looked around at her surroundings. There was a beautiful pattern of colors in the sky that blended into thick purple and pink stripes. The landscape was oddly reflective of the earth she had once known before praimfya. Though this time, the trees, the nature, flowers, and even the strands of grass were a brighter shade of colors than she had ever seen.  It was like being in a dream. Athena had taken a quick walk with Becca. Madi had assured them that she would be okay for the time being. She knew how important Becca must have been towards Athena and decided that they needed time to catch up.  Wherever they were and whatever place it was, Madi felt at ease knowing that she was away from where all the wars, fighting, and rage had once been.  She could stay here if she could but she knew deep down that she had a right to protect her family and a right to ensure the safety of her loved ones. She thought about Clarke as she turned her attention to the pretty flowers in front of her. It was rare that you would ever see any nature or wildlife on earth now. She pictured the grassy land where she and Clarke had survived together, the stories told by campfires with the grass blowing all around. Those times seemed so long ago since the break of war and anger had destroyed all the peace left.  Ryan shifted in her arms again. She had gotten used to looking after the little fellow. He slept more comfortably now at the sound of her voice and for a moment Madi considered him as her younger brother. 

"Beautiful isn't it" A familiar voice said.  Madi lifted her head in attention.  She looked around in front of her but it seemed no one was there.  She shrugged the voice off as one of the effects from coming through the portal and returned back to focusing on Ryan. 

A shuffle from behind was heard as two footsteps came to a halt at the side of where Madi was seated. Madi abruptly turned around and was faced by the two warm green eyes. Madi was stunned she had never considered she would ever be in this situation. 

"Hello Young Commander " Lexa spoke. She smiled as she seated herself next to Madi. Madi gazed at the previous commander. She was exactly as she had seen in her mind. She was exactly as Clarke had described. Her brown hair was tied half up and down and the war paint once so distinct on her face had gone.  She was dressed in armor still, tight trousers, and battle gear just as Clarke had once drawn in her sketches.  

"You...You are ?" Madi couldn't get her words out. She was speechless.  Lexa nodded and smiled for reassurance. She slowly placed her hand across Madi's head and felt her temperature. 

"You don't have a fever yet" She paused "But I fear that you being here could have adverse effects. Time moves differently here Madi"  Lexa removed her hand and noticed Ryan. She smiled. She knew that she had trained Madi to be the caring and considerate girl she was and she had no doubt that Clarke would have taught her to value others. 

"Why did you call me here"  Madi asked Looking up at the Commander she had grown to love. 

Lexa paused for a moment, looking away in her thoughts before returning to face Madi. 

"You should know that this place is more than what it seems Madi. It's beautiful but beyond that beauty, you can feel things, see things and understand things. In a sense, I am merely part of this understanding and beauty; an echo, a memory preserved in time but I can still understand what is happening around me" Lexa explained. 

Madi was confused. She didn't understand what Lexa was trying to explain to her. She knew that Lexa must have been preserved somehow, an echo as she put it or part of whatever the anomaly was.