Chapter 17: Unexpected encounter

I wasn't sure if not finding the nine tail's jinchuriki in Konoha was a successful mission or not

I wasn't sure if not finding the nine tail's jinchuriki in Konoha was a successful mission or not. Apparently he wasn't back yet, and I was kind of relieved that we didn't have to catch him yet. I knew he was the friend of Itachi's brother so he could be around the age of 15 or 16. Too young to die.

Our next mission was to split up on the Land of Fire and gather information of the jinchurikis.
I got the north of the country, traveling from village to village. I felt a weird loneliness as I got used to being around Itachi and Kisame all the time.

We decided to be apart for a week and we had a meeting point.

I checked another village on the map, then I headed to the next. The road was nice, as it was springtime, the smell of flowers surrounded me.

I heard people arguing nearby, I decided to check it out. It was obviously none of my business, but who know what can one find at unexpected places. I went through the bushes and arrived in a glade.

I saw a young, black-haired boy with a katana on his back talking with a girl, who had flaming red hair and wore glasses.

My heart skipped a beat.

The boy was Uchiha Sasuke.

"Can I help you?" asked Sasuke coldely. He seemed to be arrogant, he was nothing like his brother. I smiled at them.

"Sorry to interrupt you, I just heard her" I pointed at the redhead "screaming and I thought she might be in trouble. But I guess it's just a sweet, young couple's argument"

The readhead's face turned as red as her hair.

"We are not a couple" said Sasuke. "And if she was in trouble, how do you think you could help? You don't seem to be a shinobi, I don't see your headband"

He stood there with his hands on his waist. He underestimated me and he was clearly confident with his power.

"I'm not, but I always wanted to be" I smiled and tried to act like an enthusiastic little girl fascinated by the shinobi world. "I trained a little, I think I'm good"

I tried to look as confident as I could. Sasuke laughed.

"You're probably one of those rich kids who run away from their families and think they are ninjas just because they got a kunai for Christmas. Ridiculous"

He really looked down on me. He made me angry but I tried not to show it. And he treated me like a clumsy spoiled child. I knew I looked younger than my age, but it was still pretty upsetting. I was older than him and his brother taught me. I was disappointed to be honest. Sasuke was nothing like Itachi.

"You two don't look like shinobis either" I said eventually. Sasuke laughed at me again.

"Sweetheart, I'm better than any of those people in those stupid ninja villages"