Chapter 12: Let me love you

Days passed by, Itachi started to behave the way he did before

Days passed by, Itachi started to behave the way he did before. I acted with him as I always did, and I saw he was relieved I didn't force him to talk or do anything.

I was wondering a lot actually. I wanted to know why he even kissed me and why all that happened.

I came to the conclusion that his affection wasn't towards me. They both were probably lonely, after traveling together for years, separated from family or a lover. Humans need love, need comfort. And I was the only one nearby, I was there to give him that comfort, that connection of bodies. Even though he stopped before anything else could happen.
I convinced myself it was the truth.

I healed well from my injury, so we could continue our journey.

We finished a mission and decided to camp in the woods. Itachi was the first one to guard. I tried to fall asleep, but I couldn't. I gave up eventually, so I stood up and walked to Itachi. I sat next to him and I covered myself with my cloak.

"Why don't you sleep, Amane?" asked Itachi.

"I can't. You can go to sleep if you want, I take your watch"

"I'm not tired either" he said.

We sat there in silence for a while, then Itachi started coughing. He coughed up some blood, when it stopped he took out a pack of medicine and took some pills. These occasions were more and more frequent.

"How much time do you have left?" I asked.

"I told you I don't want to talk about things you saw in my head" he answered.

"We are not stupid, Itachi. Kisame sees it too. We both know you're terminally ill" I spoke in a calm way, but it hurt me to say it out loud.

"I don't know. Maybe a year or two" he said. "I hope I'll stay alive for a little longer. That's why I take these stupid medicines" he stared at the medicine pack. I didn't know what to say, there is no right answer to that.

"Are you sure you're not tired?" asked Itachi.

"No, I'm not" I said. "Get some rest, Itachi. You need it"

"Fine. Wake me up or Kisame if you want to sleep"

"I will"

I stayed alone with my thoughts. I was so worried about him, if I had any tiredness it surely left my body. I didn't want him to die. He didn't deserve to die. He deserved a long, happy life where he could become the hokage and marry that sweet girl I saw in his memories. Everything about him was so painful I didn't know how could he bear with it.
I started crying quietly. He wasn't even mine, but the thought of losing him broke my heart to pieces.

I didn't want to replace that girl he loved. I wanted to make him happy. I wanted to take care of him. I wanted to love him. I didn't wish for much yet it wasn't possible. I felt selfish for wanting him so bad.