Chapter LVIII

"So, what name are we going by today?" Maz Kanata asked with a raised eyebrow as she climbed into the set across from Ahsoka in the lively central chamber of Takodana Castle. The Torgruta chuckled, taking a sip of the drink she'd grabbed from the bar earlier.

"Whatever name you want, Maz. I'm looking for transport to...." the Grey Jedi left the sentence unfinished as she waved a hand.

"And here I thought you'd finally gotten yourself a partner."

"What makes you say that?"

"Oh, rumors," Maz responded before her voice lowered so the clamor of the other patrons would easily drown her out, "the Force. Not just anyone can make that sort of...."

"I know. I was surprised when it happened."

"What is she?"

"Would you believe me if I said I don't really know?"

"Is she trustworthy?" Maz questioned next, a concerned light in her eyes.

"Yes," Ahsoka answered without hesitation. "I'd trust her with my life. Already have on more than one occasion."

"I'll have to meet her sometime."

"She'll be picking me up here in two weeks. I'm sure we can arrange something."

"I look forward to it. You said you wanted a ride? You'll have to talk to Lando Calrissian, over there," Maz said, nodding to a table full of Sabacc players of all species. "He's the tall, dark human."

"Calrissian," Ahsoka repeated, taking a moment to study the man as she recalled the Ghost Crew's description of him. "I've heard his name before. He's a smuggler right? Wasn't he running something on Bespin?"

"Until the Empire cracked down on him. It's not well known, but he did openly make a move against Vader."

"I take it this was before the Emperor turned on his right hand then?"

"Not long before, but yes."

"Speaking of Vader, what have you heard?"

"Likely little more than you. No one knows where he is or what he's up to though considering he isn't always in the same ship, I believe it's fair to say he has a base somewhere. Funnily enough, I haven't heard much mention of Eclipse the few times I've heard about sightings of Vader."

"Strange," Ahsoka muttered, thinking on what little she knew of Vader's Shadow as she nursed her drink. It wasn't much, but the Grey Jedi knew the two Sith paired themselves together often enough, much like the Jedi during the Clone Wars usually worked in twos, be it a master and padawan or two knights. "You'd think they'd appear together."

"Exactly my thought. Either Eclipse is up to something for her Master or there's something going on that we don't know about."

"Or she's dead," the Togruta half heartedly suggested, eyes roaming over the clental within the tavern. She knew what Vader wasn't, but all the same he'd already had an apprentice abandon him once. She doubted he'd take it well a second go around, this time one with more permanice.

"I wouldn't think so. Eclipse is a rather sturdy girl from what I understand."

"She'd have to be to survive her apprenticeship. Reckless as well." I'd know. "You'll keep me posted on anything you hear, won't you?"

"I'd be happy to, though I'm curious about what you would do with the information," Maz answered, taking a deep look into Ahsoka's eyes. "You are rather interested in hearing more, aren't you?"

"I'm just looking out for the interests of my organization."

"That's all?"

"....If the interests happen to intersect with something personal, it's a happy coincidence."

"Or an unhappy one," Maz warned. "I've seen those eyes before, child. Hopes are dashed as often as they are fulfilled."

"Don't worry," Ahsoka sighed, recalling the time she had stood face to face with Darth Vader. Fought him.

Decided to not make the same mistake twice.

"I may hope, but I don't expect much from it."

The two sat in silence for a bit, the lively atmosphere of the tavern suddenly seeming incredibly dull to Ahsoka. It always amazed her how people could find happiness in the darkest of times, and she couldn't help but wish she could learn how they managed it. The Torguta sighed, thinking back on a different place, about as lively though smaller and far from a prime destination for anyone. People—most of them long gone—who had considered her a part of their family just because she had lost her own. Twice, though Ahsoka had been too young to really remember the first one.

Now she'd lost four. She had yet to determine if she was in the beginning stages of number five.

More than once Ahsoka had tried to break herself off from such simple bonds, but people always seemed to find a way around the necessary secrecy and distance she tried to create. Funnily enough, that's what she felt she had most in common with her current partner. Distance and secrecy was their attempt to protect the people around them, though Luna seemed to do it much better than Ahsoka.

But it made her act more independent than was wise. The Torgruta sometimes worried about how things would look for the girl if they hadn't met up on Lothal. Whether or not Luna admitted it, she was clearly used to having a second person (admittedly a powerful second person who must know a good deal about the Force) to back her up when needed.

Not for the first time, Ahsoka wondered who Luna's master was—the Grey Jedi had this feeling that if she figured that out, everything else just might fall into place.

"Hey, Maz, this is going to sound strange, but have you ever heard of a girl who is known only by the name of Luna?" the Torgruta asked.

"You'll have to give me more information than that," the ancient oranged skinned alien replied.

"Human, dark hair. Knows the Force. Flirts with the darkside more than anyone should."

"Now that does ring a bell. My boyfriend's looking for that girl."

"....Boyfriend?"

"Chewbacca, Han Solo's copilot."

Huh. I don't know what is more surprising: Luna knows Chewbacca or Maz is dating him.... Luna did say she knows Solo. "What do you know?"

"A lot, a little. The girl is special, I can tell you that much. You tell me what you know so I can pass it on to my boyfriend the next time I see him, and I'll tell you what I know."

....Luna's going to kill me if her Master gets a solid lead.... But as long as they can't track us down.... No, not worth the risk. "Not much. My partner knows more, you can talk to her," Ahsoka responded, deciding to pass the torch of leaks to Luna for later—the human was incredibly adept at half truths and cover stories. Maz studied the Grey Jedi for a moment, likely seeing that the Torgruta was keeping much to herself.

"Very well," the Pirate Queen responded with a sigh, voice lowered to a near murmur. "From what I understand she was your Master's second apprentice shortly before the Order's fall. I've heard the beginnings of whispers about her not a year after the Empire's formation, back when the Jedi still had many survivors. Jocasta Nu called her a prophet, one of the Force's chosen despite not being sensitive, asked me to help her should the Force have us cross paths."

Anakin trained her?! Why didn't Luna say anything? Even if she was only there for those last few months, she must know what happened. Why it happened. "Did she?" Ahsoka asked, her face remaining smooth despite the ricashaying of new information in her mind.

"No, though I have kept an eye out throughout the years. She is alive though, I know that much, and people are looking for her on both sides."

"But I haven't heard of any bounties...."

"The Emperor's personal servants are the ones after her. They don't bother with bounties, and it's only a matter of time before they get a lead. Hopefully the Alliance will get to her first."

"Hopefully indeed," Ahsoka muttered, deep in thought as silence claimed the space between them once more. The Togruta sighed after a few minutes as she finished her drink, moving to stand up. "Well, I'd better talk to Calrissian about that ride."