Chapter 4

"Fireheart! Guess what? I'm getting my medicine cat name this half moon!" Fireheart touched his muzzle to Leafpaws ear, proud of his daughter. "Good job!" He praised her, knowing that yellowfang would be proud too. Or maybe slightly proud, the prickly old she-cat had quite a temper.

"Ooooooo, cool! I wonder what your name will be," Emberpaw mused, narrowing his eyes. "Maybe it'll be Leafdapple, or maybe Leafclaw?" "Emberpaw, you don't get to decide my name, Starclan does!" Leafpaw purred, amusement dancing through her gaze. "It won't be long until you get your warrior name," she commented, padding toward the medicine den, "well, we'll see what my name is tonight, I promise I'll tell you first thing I get back,"  Emberpaw gave a bounce of excitement. "So Fireheart, what are we doing today?" He asked. Fireheart dimly noticed that Emberpaw was shaping up well, and growing nearly as tall as some of the older warriors. "Let's go hunting," he decided, the clan could never get too much fresh-kill, especially as leafbare was already in the air.  The hunting trip went well, and Fireheart noticed with approval that Emberpaw managed to somehow finally get his hunting crouch right.   He would have a word with Bluestar about his warrior ceremony. "You can go rest now," he told his apprentice, "and get something to eat too, you worked hard today." "Thanks!" Emberpaw mewed, dipping his head and bounding over to the freshkill pile.