Chapter 1

"Emberpaw!!!" Fireheart yowled, prodding his apprentice with a paw, "wake up! it's time for training!!" "ok, ok, im up." Emberpaw got to his paws. "What are we doing today?" he asked eagerly.  "we can do some battle training," Fireheart decided, "then we can go hunting," "great!" Emberpaw exclaimed, pushing eagerly out of the apprentices den.  Fireheart bounded through the forest, heading toward the sandy hollow.  

Fireheart plopped down at the bramble patch, setting his mouse on the floor as he groomed himself. The training and hunting exhausted him, but it went well. He felt felt a prickle of excitement and pride as he thought of his son becoming a warrior. Graystripes voice interrupted his thoughts. "Fireheart! Silverstream has my kits!" "what??" Fireheart nearly choked on his fur, "what didn't you tell me?!" "sorry Fireheart, Silverstream only told me last night, and I couldn't find a good time to tap to you." Fireheart sighed, noting that this was not the best news, but he had forgave Graystripe so he might as well ask, "Did she name them yet?" "Silverstream said she named them Featherkit and Stormkit!" "Graystripe, do you realize that you can never admit those kits are yours? or Silverstream?" "yes Fireheart, I know that, I just wanted to tell you," Fireheart shook his head, but he knew he couldn't chage the past. "well, you might as well eat," Fireheart suggested, pushing his mouse toward Graystripe. "Wanna share?" "sure," Graystripe replied, tucking into the mouse.

Fireheart laid down beside Spottedleaf, relishing her warmth as he fell into a deep sleep. In his dream, he was bounding through. the forest, a choking smog surrounding him.  Fireheart felt a sharp tug on his shoulder as he began to sink into the leaf mold. His eyes snapped open, and he found himself in his soft, moss den, Graystripe tugging on his shoulder. "Fireheart, wake up! you're supposed to lead the dawn patrol, you said so yourself!" "ok, Graystripe, tell them I'll be there in a second." as Graystripe padded out into the clearing, Fireheart desperately wondered what his terrifying dream meant.