Fuck, maybe she was too tired to realize it was me if I could just guide her back into the bed...

"Alexis?!" her eyes shot wide open as she glanced at me with excitement yet still sleepy expression - Never mind.

"Hey p-p-princess," I began with a crooked smile. "Come on, b-b-back t-t-to bed," I urged and gently guided her back in.

"What are you doing here?!" she gushed happily.

"Shhhh, t-t-too many questions," I quietened her down, scolding myself on the inside. "I f-f-forgot something that's all," I lied.

Suddenly her face fell and I tilted my head, taken aback by her upset reaction. "What's w-w-wrong princess?" I worried.

"I don't want you to go," she mumbled with a shaky lip.

I tucked her under the duvet and sat on the side of her bed, gently moving her loose ginger strands away from her face.

"Boop," I poked her nose, receiving a giggle in return, which sadly didn't last long.

"H-h-hey what's w-wrong? Why were y-y-you awake?"

She hid her face into the pink teddy bear muttering a quiet, "I had a nightmare."

I sighed unsure of how to approach the situation, I could talk with her about these things, but I didn't want to cross the line. Receiving Vanessa's approval would be ideal, yet I couldn't ignore the girl when she was clearly troubled.

"About?" I wondered.

"Nessi was arguing with grandma and then I saw mama and dad, they were smiling at me. I wanted to come over, but they told me no, which made me cry." She sniffled looking at me from above the bear with teary eyes. "You were there too," she surprised me with that.

"Oh?"

An adorable chuckle escaped her lips. "Yeah! When my parents disappeared, I saw you sitting on the bench. The same one we sat at the doctors! You told me to come over and you didn't disappear," she explained.

I smiled at that - I would never leave you, princess, wish I could tell you that.

"Did anything e-e-else happen?"

She hummed, trying to recall her dream, which must have begun to get fuzzy.

"Nessi came over and smiled at us, I don't remember the rest," she pouted, but at least stopped crying.

"Well, it w-w-wasn't all t-t-that bad then."

She thought about it for a second and nodded in agreement. "I wish I remembered my parents... I was too little, all I got are pictures Nessi shows me," she sobbed.

"That's n-n-not true," I resorted earning her full attention. "You d-d-dream about them," I softly poked her forehead. "Means t-t-they are already there, a p-p-part of your heart and mind, a-a-and no one can take that away from you," I reassured.

Something sparked in her eyes as she scrunched her freckled nose and threw herself onto my neck. Surprised, but not minding it at all I embraced her into a hug.

"Please don't leave us... Nessi is so much happier ever since you appeared. I love you, Alexis."

My heart stopped. I felt my muscles going weak, there was something unexplainably special about a child confessing their love to you, making you feel like the most important person in the universe. I wanted to do better for her I wanted to be there for her, I loved this kid, but letting her get this attached could backfire and cause her more unnecessary pain. Yet, something has told me it was already too late to take it back, and I was more than ready to commit myself to these two beautiful ladies.