33 - when her friends did their part

Start from the beginning

"He..." I was unable to finish my greeting because Taehyung's voice already rang in my ears.

"Third floor, room 302. " That was all he said before ending the call quickly.

I was uncertain whether he was pertaining to Chaeyoung's whereabout or not but I found myself getting off when the elevator doors opened on the third floor. Then I went looking for room 302. And there she was.

"Jungkook?" Chaeyoung asked when her eyes landed on me.

I was about to step forward when two of her friends who were previously standing beside her blocked me from getting closer. Jisoo and Lisa stood side by side right in front of Chaeyoung, acting like her bodyguards.

"Unnie! Lisa!" Jennie shrieked, looking in surprise at her friends' reaction. "What are you doing?"

"Jen . . ." Jisoo attempted to reason out but Lisa beat her to it.

"Chaeng got hurt because of him, too."

"And he failed in protecting her. If her planned did not work . . ." Jisoo added with a piercing glare directed towards me.

"Enough! We all know that it's not the time to talk about all that right now. Plus, the both of them had yet to settle the issue between themselves. Let's not stand in their way." Jennie interjected.

I gave her a small smile in gratitude as I proceeded to walk towards Chaeyoung. But a hand on my arm stopped me from going further.

"Not so fast!" Jennie whispered grimly, her hand tightening around my arm. "First, tell me what you are doing here."

I heaved a deep sigh and almost rolled my eyes when I noticed Lisa and Jisoo wearing a smirk, they were clearly ganging up on me. Then I shifted my gaze towards Chaeyoung. She mouthed a 'sorry' and I gave her a reassuring smile in return. To be honest, I felt a bit intimidated at her friends' behavior but I fully understand them and I was even glad that Chaeyoung had friends like them.

So while meeting Chaeyoung's gaze, I spoke sincerely.

"I'm not sure what is actually happening but I knew that I needed to be here by her side, even if she wouldn't want me to."

"No! I want you to." Chaeyoung interrupted loudly, surprising us all.

"Gurl, calm down." Lisa teased while looking at Chaeyoung over her shoulder. "We all know you're whipped but it wouldn't hurt not being too obvious about it."

"Yah!" Chaeyoung screamed before chasing after Lisa who had already ran away to the end of the lobby.

I was enjoying their childlike banter until I felt a soft kick on my leg.

"I'm watching you, Jeon Jungkook. You better treat our girl right or you won't ever see her again." Jisoo said in a whisper, her soothing voice that rang in my ears were totally ironic to the words she was spitting.

No words dared to come out of my mouth so I only managed to nod in response. And I was glad when Chaeyoung and Lisa returned at the right moment, breaking the growing tension in the air.

"Sorry about that." Chaeyoung said, standing before me this time. "So uh . . . since you're already here, please stay with them for a bit. You don't mind, do you?"

I looked at her friends from behind Chaeyoung. They were all giving me a sinister smile that immediately turned into angelic ones the moment Chaeyoung turned to face them.

"Unnies, Lisa, please accompany Jungkook for awhile. I'm sure he would feel uncomfortable during the hearing since it will be his first time learning about everything."