Chapter 30: Trust issues

THIRD PERSON

Alfred and Lisa are now sitting here at the backyard of Lisa's house. The faint sound of the waves can be heard and the smell of the sea breeze surrounds them. Lisa was looking in front of her, observing the coast a few meters away from their house.

Meanwhile, Alfred was glancing at her from time to time, slowly drinking the drink Jiwon made for him earlier. Sensing the awkward silence, Alfred cleared his throat before speaking.

"I heard you're working as a special force soldier," Alfred said carefully, trying to make a conversation that won't make Lisa feel uncomfortable.

"Ne majseubnida (Yes, that's right)," Lisa answered, then looked at her hand on her lap.

"You can drop the formality, I'm okay being called Alfred, I don't mind anything at all. Just be comfortable around me, I won't harm you," Alfred's soothing voice made Lisa smile a little.

"I know that," Lisa whispered, but Alfred heard it, so he smiled genuinely.

"You know what, when I was your age, I just wanted to be a baker. Being on a dangerous mission didn't even crossed my mind, but look at you now, you're such a strong woman," Alfred complimented Lisa, then he looked at the view in front of them.

"Thank you, but there's nothing wrong if you wanted to be a baker, as long as you're happy about your work, it's enough for you to be proud of it. Imagine if there were no bakers, people, especially kids, wouldn't experience having a cake or eating desserts. Birthdays or even ordinary days would not be the same anymore," Lisa said and Alfred smiled upon hearing that.

"It amazed me how your mind works even on a simple matter. Hearing someone's thoughts about things really does make a difference, especially when the world is full of unwanted conflicts. Just like what the world looks like in the children's eyes, I hope people will be considerate enough about how each of us view something," Alfred sigh before he continues.

"I wish I was there when you were still a kid. Hearing you talk about random things would be interesting if I happened to be there with you," Alfred said softly, getting a sad feeling as he thought about it.

"I think my mindset as a kid was different from other children, I guess. But something happened that I kind of lost that old me. Thinking differently can also ruin someone's perspective," Lisa said, while still looking in front, and Alfred looked at her, silently asking why.

Lisa was silent for a second before she speaks. 

"I used to have a brother. He was the one who taught me how this world works even though I was still young, a kid who was curious about everything, an innocent to be precise. He told me how cruel the world we are living in, no matter how good you are to others, how helpful and thoughtful you are, people just despise you for being you. The sad part about it is that... everything he told me was right."

Lalisa had really grown as a confident woman, Alfred thought to himself, then silence surrounded them this time, except for the noises around the area.

Alfred might not hear or even experience how Lisa's mind works as a kid, but hearing her thoughts now as an adult is enough for him to know she would be fine on her own. But not all the time, because starting today, he will keep it as a reminder to try his best to be there with her even from afar.

He won't let this woman suffer again, even though Lisa hasn't told him the full story of her life, he knew she had been through a lot already, which made him feel more guilty for not being there with her from the start.

"I'm sorry.... if only I could have been there with you," Alfred simply said, looking down, before heaving a sigh.

Lisa was just silent and so Alfred started to tell his own story.