Chapter 47

4 Years Later...

Dean POV:

I force my eyes open, the harsh sunlight seeping in from the window temporarily blinding me. I hold a hand up to block some light from my blue eyes as I look around the room. I don't need to do that much because Seth is still curled up beside me, holding my left hand with his right one loosely.

He looks serene lying on my side, facing me in a half fetal position. His hair a messy curtain around his face and his mouth slightly open as soft snores and mumbles under his breath. During the slumber, he would mumble sometimes, but I assumed it was nothing serious.

I bend down and kiss his lips gently, which causes the sleeping man to stir and open his eyes when I lean back. Usually, I get excited when he wakes up, but now I'm not because he will fly away quickly from the room, anyway.

"Why did you not wake up early?" He asks, voice groggy with sleep. He sits up and rubs his eyes, leaning back against the headboard and patting the lump under the blanket. "Well, I should be downstairs now."

As he's about to get up from the bed, I grab his hand and pull him against me, holding him in my arms. "Why the hell are you up so early? You're not going anywhere, pup. It's not like the same you that I've fallen in love with!"

"A lot has changed now! You're mostly living at work now and doing nothing else." I run a hand through his messy hair, seeing even the blond streak being neglected if his roots are anything to go by. "I miss you."

"Sorry for making you feel like that. I, ugh... I better get dressed because I'm supposed to be downstairs in an hour." He replies, apparently not catching the underlying meaning of my assessment. He checks his watch, which is still around his wrist somehow. It is 5 am evidently, so he nods at me and gets up from the bed himself.

"Since when everything is important to you than me?" I ask, crossing the arms over my chest. I feel moved alone since the day his mind is dreaming about his career only.

He turns to look at me with guilty in his eyes before placing his hand on my cheek. "You know, I'm expecting a promotion now. And if I work hard enough and prove that I'm devoted to business, Uncle Rock might level up to me as a junior partner. Can you imagine?" He says wistfully, looking at the ceiling above the bed, likely picturing it. "Can you imagine me already being a junior partner only under 23 years old?"

"It's our company pup, so you don't have to put this much effort into it. You've proved already that you're the best to dad.." I reply, a little peeved that he isn't getting the hint. "If dad keeps us away from the next step, there will be a reason, so just wait a bit.."

He shakes his head and lets out a frustrated sigh. "There's no reason behind this. If I wanted to prove my worth, I should keep up the time. You knew what Uncle Rock would tell always... Time is precious!"

I pretend to smile and nod like I understand, pulling him in my arms and stroking his hair. While I still love him more than anything, it hurts to see him giving up on everything that has made him in conduct to please my dad. Inevitably, it will be nice if he achieves his dream with his talent only, not by the advance of Dwayne Johnson's son-in-law, but it isn't worth losing the real Seth over.

Sooner than I have expected, he moves away from me and suggests reaching downstairs around 6.30 am for breakfast. It's only going on for the past two years. Waking up every morning at 5 am and spending a couple of hours downstairs before taking a shower and getting ready so we can leave by 7.30 to be the work by 8.

Work until 3 pm on the day we would get off on time, work until 7 pm on a day we didn't. Then we would come home, eat dinner, and look for job listings until around midnight when we finally go and pass out on the bed, repeating the next day.

My dad didn't force us, but Seth didn't take a single day off since we started to go office. He also rejected the offer of our last year's vacation for concentrating on the job. Now there's no hangout and no cabin on Fridays!

Seth POV:

Everybody is looking at me when I enter the company, and it makes me feel proud. It's what I have earned for my hard work. I do everything for the business because it's all mattered to me. I enjoy working to improve myself, so I don't care what others are thinking about me. I will do everything that is best for business!

When I cross the hallway, I notice Dean's office is empty. Where has he been going? A part of me hoped he would be here somewhere, so I didn't have to worry about it. I convince myself and maintain the slight smile on my face before making the way to my office.

After a few minutes, I look up from the computer when I hear a knock on the door. My eyesight is starting to get a little blurry from spending the past few hours staring at the small screen, analyzing sales reports, and every other part of the business to do with the management team to prepare for my meeting with Uncle Rock this afternoon.

I don't need to stress about the meeting, but I have to. I have a list of jobs already that I need to fix so I should pull out another twelve-hour shift or possibly more depending on how long the meeting goes for.

My lips twitch into a small smile when I see Uncle Rock standing at the door. "Hey, kid. How's everything going?" He asks, stepping inside and close the door, all the sounds from outside being drowned out once the door slide shut.

"So today we have a meeting!" He smiles at me. "I trust you have your folders with you?"

I turn off the computer and focus entirely on him sitting across the table. "Of course. I've done this a few times before."

He laughs lightly. "Just making sure." He opens up today's meeting file that has a sheet full of questions. He reaches for his pen and pops the lid off of it before scribbling something on it.

My mind starts to think about my husband for not seeing me here. Why wouldn't he show his face at me anytime? If he was here, he would meet me at least once during the morning. As soon as the thought crosses my head, my phone frantically starts to vibrate and receive a notification.

I furrow my brow and reach my hand up to rub at the budding headache on the side of my head as I read that he's feeling sick, so staying at home. Why did he not inform me earlier? I type the return message but stop and throw the phone aside when Uncle Rock discussing me about the last-minute checking. It looks like I have some work after the meeting as well.