Chapter 24

Xiaojun was glad that he had convinced Chunhua to help them as they returned to her parents' apartment. He could tell she was still feeling uneasy about the plan but knew how much it meant to him and the other citizens of The Underground City.

"So, what do you need from me?" Chunhua asked, casually walking in as if she had never left. Xiaojun tried not to laugh as the others stared at her, the two of them returning to the couch.

"You're in?" Chenle asked, making Xiaojun smiled as he ruffled the younger male's hair.

"Keep asking and she might not be." Xiaojun teased, earning a few chuckles from around the room.

"Are you willing to help infiltrate the Research Facility?" Renjun asked, the most serious one out of the room. "You and Xiaojun know it best."

"I worked in the Training Facility though." Chunhua pointed out.

"But you've been in there." Chunhua's father said, patting the pocket the silver bands were in. "Chenle traced the various locations you've been in."

Creepy. Xiaojun shivered at the thought, realizing that those bands were able to to track any location of the citizens at any time.

But you had something like that in your head.

"I don't know it that well though." Chunhua mumbled. "I really don't know if I can do this."

"You're not going alone." Yuechen told her. "Dejun will go with you."

"What?" Xiaojun exclaimed, finally paying attention again after his name was called. "I'm doing what?"

"You're going to have do go with her if we want to retrieve the orb." Renjun told him. "We can't touch it."

"Wait, what do you mean?" Chunhua suddently blurted out, confused by Renjun's statement. "Why can't I touch it?"

"It's one of the last stages of being a cyborg." Xiaojun said softly, recalling the memories he had. "If you can survive the power of the orb, then you've completed the transition from human to cyborg."

Chunhua's father nodded, confirming Xiaojun's words. "Although there are many deaths caused by other tests, the most common one is the orb. The energy of the orb is the secret to how Intelligence's cyborgs are extrememely powerful and undefeatable."

"It's a painful process." Chunhua's mother added. "Even the ones that survive can't forget the pain of it."

Xiaojun tensed at the thought, reconsidering the plan. What Chunhua's mother said was true, there wasn't a day where Xiaojun wasn't scarred from the encounter with the orb that brought his cyborg side to life. At the same time though, if he had the opportunity to free the other cyborgs, how could he look the other way?

"What about me?" Chunhua asked, placing her hand over Xiaojun's. "Cyborgs were once humans, that means that humans can survive it."

"But it's rare." Chenle muttered. "Why would you risk it when you already know that Dejun will survive?"

Xiaojun knew that Chenle's words had ticked Chunhua off, so he decided to speak up before she could.

"Okay, I'll go with her." Xiaojun said, making up his mind. It's for the good of Edra anyways.

"Xiaojun, please." Chunhua pleaded, knowing that it was a hard decision but he just gave her a small smile, gently rubbing her back.

"Chenle's right, we're certain that I'll be able to survive so why would you risk your life for this?" Xiaojun asked.

Chunhua opened her mouth but Yuechen's words came out first.

"Well now that everything's settled, let's group back tomorrow." The girl said, standing up and grabbing her cloak. "Some of us have other plans to attend to."