Chapter 18

Darkness, the world had become complete darkness.

Xiaojun felt like his body was moving but wasn't really sure, his injuries too deep for him to be sure. All he knew was that someone was holding his hand the entire time, gently caressing his knuckles as he zoned in and out of consciousness.

"Chunhua." Xiaojun mumbled, wondering if the girl knew that he was alive.

"Shh." Xiaojun heard a soft voice whisper to him, rubbing his head softly. "Just sleep, Dejun."

Xiaojun wanted to reply, ask who the person was, but he was too exhausted, falling back asleep.

...

"Is he going to be alright?" Chunhua asked as she gently held Xiaojun's hand.

"He'll be fine." The male beside her replied, tapping Xiaojun's head one more time before glancing at the panel that lead to the driver's seat. "Chenle, how much longer until we arrive at the border?"

"A few more hours, stop being so impatient." Chenle mumbled but that only angered his friend.

"Yah, who's the older one here?" Renjun replied, making Chunhua sigh as the two began to bicker.

Ten had helped her find Winwin, who helped her shut down the arena and pull Xiaojun out. Unfortunately though, Xiaojun was already badly beaten by then, but at least he wasn't dead.

Winwin had a feeling that something like this would happen so he had made arrangements with a few connections who lived outside of Central. Chunhua wasn't exactly eager to trust a bunch of strangers, but with her and Xiaojun going missing, she knew it would be better for the others to stay back and do their best to prevent the officials from chasing her and Xiaojun.

Renjun and Chenle both seemed very nice and helpful, but they also bickered a lot. Chunhua wouldn't have minded but sitting alone with them in a truck for hours was beginning to make her head pound.

Renjun seemed to notice her discomfort, quickly closing the panel and ending his argument with Chenle. "Are you alright?"

"Should I be alright?" Chunhua asked back, adjusting her position. "He looks terrible."

"He'll heal." Renjun reassured her. "There are many good healers outside of Central, you'll see."

"If you say so." Chunhua mumbled, gently running her fingers over Xiaojun's features. "I didn't do all this for him to die for me."

"Dejun's a strong one." Renjun said, making Chunhua look up.

"Why do you call him that?" Chunhua asked, staring into Renjun's eyes. The male simply shrugged, passing her a blanket.

"I'll tell you another time but for now, you should rest up. There's still a few more hours until we reach the border." Renjun told her.

As much as Chunhua wanted to argue, a yawn escaped her lips. She lied down beside Xiaojun, carefully placing the blanket over them before gently holding his hand between hers.

...

Chunhua woke up to Renjun shaking her, and realized the truck had stopped. "Where are we?"

"Outside of the border." Chenle answered, glaring at her from outside the truck, which Chunhua realized was opened. She watched as he stepped in, moving towards where the others are.

"We need to switch vehicles." Renjun told her. "This one is a Central one, so it's being tracked."

"Their bracelets too." Chenle added, motioning to the silver bands her and Xiaojun wore. "I can only keep the trackers off for so long."