Chapter 22

"You okay?" Xiaojun asked quietly, leaning towards Chunhua. She nodded her head in reassurance, letting him take her hand.

"I should be asking you that." Chunhua replied, her voice just as soft as Xiaojun played with her fingers. "You just woke up and you're already moving around and working."

They were sitting on Xiaojun's bed, waiting for the Zhongs to call them for dinner. Apparently, a group of citizens of The Underground City were trying to infiltrate Intelligence to tear them apart from the inside, which was where Chunhua and Xiaojun played their part.

Chunhua wasn't sure if going up against the biggest company in Edra was a good idea, but Yuechen and the others were adamant on making their plan a reality. Plus, Xiaojun had already agreed after recalling the life that had been stripped away from him, more than willing to help the others out.

Xiaojun chuckled at the comment, grinning from ear to ear. "I'll be fine. They took out my tracker and the walls of my memory but my modifications are still here."

"If you say so." Chunhua said, gently resting her head on Xiaojun's shoulder. She felt him stiffen. "Is this too much?"

"You're just..." Xiaojun's voice trailed off as he rubbed his neck. "I'm not used to being this close to a person without being in a fight."

Chunhua felt a twisting inside of her, feeling bad for Xiaojun. Being a battle cyborg had not only stripped him from his feelings but also his human interactions with others.

"Should I stop then?" Chunhua asked, lifting her head but Xiaojun pushed it back down.

"No, it's fine." Xiaojun told her. "It feels... nice."

Chunhua couldn't help but giggle, letting her weight sink into Xiaojun's body. "It does, doesn't it?"

Xiaojun was quiet for a moment and Chunhua thought she had said something wrong until he spoke again.

"It is. I also understand why Intelligence took them away though."

"You do?" Chunhua replied, wondering what Xiaojun was thinking. He nodded.

"I don't think I could have fought properly if I had emotions." Xiaojun told her. "It would have been too much."

"Too much pain?" Chunhua asked.

"Yeah." Chunhua lifted her head to see sadness in Xiaojun's eyes, immediately taking his hand. It didn't help though, as the tears began to roll down his cheeks.

"Hey, I'm right here." Chunhua said, reaching forward to wipe them away with her thumb but Xiaojun shook his head, gently pushing her away.

"I'm a monster, Chunhua. I killed for a sport, without even batting an eyelash. They might have been cyborgs but they still had lives. I don't know anyone who wouldn't leave my side once they knew who I really am." Xiaojun mumbled.

Chunhua's heart broke at his words, finding it so hard to hear him talk about his previous actions like that. She understood where he was coming from, but at the same time, she felt so different.

"I won't." Chunhua said softly, making Xiaojun stop moving. "I won't leave your side, why would I ever do that?"

"Chunhua." Xiaojun said, looking up but Chunhua didn't move away, only leaning closer.

"Xioajun, I know that you think you're a monster but I don't see that." Chunhua told him. "Plus, who am I to judge? I was hired to teach battle cyborgs battle strategies, how to take down your opponents. I'm no better."

"Your heart lies in a good place though." Xiaojun pointed out. "You stuck up for me and even got me out of that arena."

"Yours does too." Chunhua responded. "Remember the time you took care of me?"