Chapter 19

The trip to the Underground City was shorter than Chunhua expected, only a couple hours long. Renjun had suggested that she sleep along the way, so she would have enough energy when they arrived.

Chunhua had trouble sleeping though, as she lightly brushed Xiaojun's bangs away from his face.

"How are you feeling?" Chunhua whispered, gently brushing her fingers against his features. "You must be tired, aren't you?"

Chunhua felt the carriage stop and suddenly the door opened, Chenle walking in with a frown on his face.

"Renjun said I'm too annoying." Chenle told her as he stepped in. "I hope you don't mind."

"Not at all." Chunhua said, moving over so Chenle had some space.

Now that they were closer together, Chunhua could take in Chenle's features better. He was definitely younger than her, with innocence in his eyes. But at the same time, there was a sadness to them.

"Is everything alright?" Chunhua asked, making Chenle look up. He looked confused as he shook his head.

"Not at all, why do you ask?" Chenle said, staring at her.

"You seem sad, that's all." Chunhua said, leaning back against the wall of the carriage. Chenle fiddled with his thumbs, looking back down into his lap.

"Is growing up in Central nice?" Chenle asked, avoiding her eyes.

"I mean it's a different type of life." Chunhua said, choosing her words carefully. "The worries people have are not the same so it's hard to say."

Chenle nodded his head. "I know, I lived there for a bit to help Winwin. He always complained about how people there seemed to have lost the true meaning of humans."

"I mean, that's true." Chunhua said, thinking back to her own life. "Life in Central revolves around the Cyborg Games, which is literally killing in a form of entertainment."

"Yeah." Chenle mumbled.

Chunhua shook her head, scoffing. "I can't believe I wanted to be a part of that."

Chenle looked up though, turning his head. "I don't really blame you though, even out here, in the Underground City, people want to be a part of it. So many families send their kids away just for money."

"Wait." Chunhua said, eyes shifting to Xiaojun. "You mean, these cyborgs..."

Chenle nodded his head. "They were kids like we were, with families that loved them like yours did."

Chunhua felt her heart break at the idea of Xiaojun's parents sending him away in exchange for some money. She remembered Omega Team and the Research Facility, unable to even imagine the hardships he had gone through just for him to get where he was today.

That's when Chunhua remembered something.

"Chenle, do you know his family?" Chunhua asked, recalling that Renjun and Chenle had both called Xiaojun another name.

"I... Um..." Chenle's voice trailed off as he rubbed the back of his neck.

Lucky for him, the carriage stopped moving and Renjun opened the door, yawning.

"Chenle, take over. I'm exhausted." Renjun said, stepping in.

Chunhua chuckled as Chenle rolled his eyes, getting up. He gave Chunhua an apologetic smile before exiting the carriage, letting Renjun take his place.

"You should sleep." Renjun said, getting comfortable. "The Underground City is going to be exhausting."

Before Chunhua could ask, Renjun had already fallen asleep, exhausted from their trip. She gave Xiaojun one last glance before lying down, trying to get some sleep as well.