Chapter 17

Xiaojun took a deep breath as he sat on the cold floor of his cell, leaning against the wall. He could hear the cheers above him, signalling a win.

He had no idea when he would be sent up, he never did. All he knew was that he was locked in this cell until he went up, and that would be when he found out who his opponent was as well.

The first time should have been terrifying, yet the workers at Intelligence had already described to him what would happen. It took him a mere seconds for his brain to scan the opposing cyborg, and a few minutes later, he had won his first match.

One match became many others, and after a while, it began to feel like a chore for Xiaojun. Fighting to death was just something he did, his purpose in life, nothing more.

When Chunhua entered though, his view began to change.

With her focus being on emotions and feelings, things that Xiaojun was programmed not to have, he realized there was more out there than he thought.

Chunhua's purpose at Intelligence was to prepare them in case their program would fail them. Even though it was something that should never happen, Xiaojun felt his own program failing him the more time he spent with Chunhua.

Feelings and emotions, they were all foreign to Xiaojun until Chunhua came. Then, he started thinking about his opponents, the pain that they felt, beginning to regret his actions.

He tried to hold it in though, as long as he possibly could, but when he started being alone with Chunhua, it was no use.

Chunhua could see a side to him that no one else could, and for some reason, he let her. He could have made it difficult, putting up walls around him until she backed away, but he didn't.

Sculpted to perfection, yet you saw every flaw. How was that even possible?

It was the connection. The connection that felt, Xiaojun realized as he leaned his head back, coming in contact with the cold cell wall. Electric.

Xiaojun inhaled deeply, closing his eyes as he envisioned the girl he desperately wanted to see again.

If you're out there, Chunhua, just know that I miss you.

...

Chunhua felt like she was about to pass out as Yangyang reached out, steadying her.

Ten had his eyebrows furrowed, pacing around the room. "I don't know, this is suprising to me too."

"He did it on purpose." Chunhua mumbled, recalling her conversation with Kun. "He doesn't care about Xiaojun."

"That doesn't make sense though." Yangyang pointed out. "Why would Intelligence put two of their strongest cyborgs against one another? You're ridding one of your best chances of winning the games."

"Plus, you don't know the outcome." Ten said, in hopes of reassuing Chunhua. "Xiaojun has just as good of a chance winning."

"No he doesn't." Chunhua said, standing up, surprising the two others. "He has no chance in winning."

"Wait, why not?" Yangyang asked, confused. Chunhua took a deep breath, running her fingers through her hair as she thought about what to do.

"Hendery's modification is strong, he's basically undefeatable once his fighting side is triggered." Chunhua told them.

"But Xiaojun is strong too, no?" Yangyang asked while Ten decided to stay quiet.

"He is, his program works really well in terms of scanning and technicalities. It's based off of fighting without feeling, which is a problem though." Chunhua told then.