55. Aria 📚

The art gallery that Aria's mom worked at was teeming with art buffs who tried just a little too hard to seem like they knew what the pieces were about. The small table of snacks was still pretty stocked with Cobb salad and fresh grapes. Aria could see her parents talking to a couple of guests as she came in.

"Thank you," Mrs Montgomery said, after Aria's father complimented the turnout for the night.

"Well, you are," he said.

"He's just saying that because he has to," Mrs Montgomery chuckled, humble as ever.

Aria took a look at some of the pieces of art. They really were beautiful. She could see where the artist had been influenced by the majesty of Iceland. The aurora borealis was featured heavily in one of the paintings, and with the lighting in the gallery, she could almost see the colours flowing as if she was watching them in real time.

She handed a glass of water to one of the guests, who was sitting on one of the benches that lined the gallery. She glanced over at the entrance and noticed that Meredith was walking in. Any sense of peace that the art had brought her was flushed away. Hadn't she been perfectly clear that she wasn't supposed to come? Did she not care about Aria's family in the slightest?

"Can I take it?" the overly friendly greeter asked her at the door, gesturing to the black sweater that Meredith had draped over her arm.

"Thank you," Meredith said with a smile.

Aria watched Meredith glance around the gallery, taking in the art and sparing a glance at Aria's parents. They were completely oblivious to the arrival of the homewrecker that had almost ruined their lives. Aria stormed over to her. She knew that she could've easily let it go and just enjoyed the art, but she couldn't risk Meredith letting something slip to her mom.

"What are you doing here?" Aria hissed at her with a ferocity she didn't know she possessed. "Did you forget what we talked about?"

"You talked. I listened," Meredith replied, her voice dripping with a false sweetness.

"Well, what didn't you understand?" Aria asked. "You need to leave. Now."

Meredith's sweetness was replaced by bitchiness very quickly. "Listen, sweetie, I'm not in high school. You don't have any say in this," Meredith said condescendingly.

Meredith took the small glass of water from Aria's hand with a smile before turning around and making her way toward Aria's parents. Aria watched her mom's face light up with excitement when she saw Meredith, and her heart broke. She had to tell her mom the truth and soon. She just had to find the courage to do it.