47. Aria 📚

The art gallery where Aria's mom worked was located just off Main Street. They had just received a new selection of pieces from some French artist that they had met in Iceland. Mrs Montgomery was very excited for the opening. She had asked if Aria would help set up and stop in once the opening started. She had agreed.

Aria walked up to the art gallery, carrying a couple large brown bags full of groceries that her mom had asked her to get. As she climbed the white marble steps to the glass door of the gallery, she saw her mom talking to a tall blonde woman. They were taking a short tour of the gallery, looking at various art pieces and talking very animatedly. The woman turned her head slightly, and Aria immediately recognised her. Meredith.

Instantly, Aria's blood began to boil. It was one thing for her to corner her dad at breakfast this morning, but to make an appearance at her mother's place of work? It was absolutely disgusting. As if she couldn't ruin her family's lives any more than she already had.

"The owner refuses to use a computer," Mrs Montgomery was saying as Aria opened the door and stepped inside, "which is only mildly irritating because half of these contacts died during the Reagan administration."

Meredith let out a cackle as they approached a small wooden desk that was covered in office supplies. Even in the best of times, Mrs Montgomery's desk was cluttered. Aria closed the door loudly, still in shock that Meredith was chit-chatting with her mother, as if nothing had ever happened. Mrs Montgomery looked up and smiled.

"That was fast," she said happily. She turned to Meredith. "This is my daughter, Aria, also known as my saviour because when I got here, there were about three cups." Mrs Montgomery took one of the bags out of Aria's hands. "Thank you, my dear. Uh, this is Meredith. She works with your dad."

Meredith beamed at Aria. "We've met actually," she said. "Nice to see you."

Aria couldn't pull her glare away from her. There was literally nothing that she could do to make Aria forgive her for what she had done. She hadn't even completely forgiven her father for what happened, not to mention this complete stranger. Mrs Montgomery walked around Aria, completely oblivious to the animosity filling up the room.

"Meredith just wandered in. She's looking for somebody who shows alternative art," Mrs Montgomery said.

"Your mother's been very helpful," Meredith said, her voice dripping with fake sweetness. "Thank you so much, Ella."

"You're welcome," Mrs Montgomery said. "So, we'll see you tonight?"

Meredith nodded in agreement, much to Mrs Montgomery's delight. Aria processed what had just happened and turned to her mother. "Tonight?"

"Yeah, I invited her to the opening tonight, which might be a success now that we don't have to eat Cobb salad with our fingers," Mrs Montgomery replied. "Thank you. I'll see you later."

"Sure," Meredith said brightly. "Buh-bye."

She had an almost victorious smile on her face. Was this her way of trying to drive a wedge between her parents again? There was no way Aria could let this happen, not again. As Meredith stepped toward the door to leave, Aria was quickly trying to figure out how to stop this from happening. She couldn't stand the thought of Meredith and her father getting together again. She wouldn't be able to keep the secret again.

Aria caught Meredith's arm before she could leave. Her heart was racing. "You can't come tonight," Aria said sternly.

"Why not?"

"You know why not, and so do I," she replied. She looked back at her mom, and her voice softened. "But my mom doesn't."

Meredith smiled at Aria, almost with pity in her eyes, the same way you smile at a kid begging for sweets. Aria hated being patronised like this. "I don't know what you're talking about," Meredith said with that fake sweetness again.

Aria rolled her eyes. This woman disgusted her more than anyone she had ever met. "Look, I saw the way you were looking at my dad yesterday. I have eyes. So just find someone who's available. My dad isn't," Aria said sharply.

Meredith raised her eyebrows and, with another sickening smile, left the gallery. Aria let her go. She had nothing more to say to her. Aria looked back at her mom, who was trying desperately to organise her desk. She could only hope that she would see through Meredith's mask before it was too late. It crossed her mind to tell her mom the truth, but she couldn't do it. Not today.