49. Emily 🏊‍♀️

Music blasted through the speakers set up around the Kahn cabin, sending the thrill of the party through every Rosewood teen. Emily could hear it all the way down the street from the house. She was still having some second thoughts about going to the party. She knew Ben was going to be there, and after what happened in the locker room, she didn't know what she would do when she saw him.

Maya had picked Emily up from her house, and all Emily could talk to her about was the whole situation in the locker room. She hadn't even told the other girls what had happened yet, but it felt good to finally tell someone about it. She was surprised at how close they had become in the short time they had known each other. She found comfort in the way Maya wasn't tied to Alison's death at all, even though she lived in her old house.

When they arrived at the party, it was already in full swing. Emily could see guys pouring drinks for their girlfriends out in the yard, some of them shirtless, and a group of people were watching an apparently very intense game of foosball. It had been a while since she had been to one of these classic Rosewood events, especially without Ben, but she was determined to try and have a good time.

As they got out of the car though, Emily could feel regret seeping back into her body. She wasn't nearly as ready to step back into the party scene as she thought she was. "Come on, lighten up," Maya said comfortingly.

Emily shoved her hands in her pockets. "I should've stayed home," she said.

"Why?" Maya asked. "Because you broke up with somebody? What are you supposed to do? Spend the rest of the school year hiding under your bed?"

Emily chuckled. She had a point. Life went on, with or without him. She knew she was better off without him, but it was such an abrupt change. Maya was definitely helping her cope though. She had been so supportive ever since she found out what happened. Maya seemed to be somewhat of a cure-all for her.

They made their way into Noel's cabin and into the room where the foosball game was happening. Come to find out, it was Hanna's boyfriend, Sean, and Ben playing against each other. Ben seemed so focused on the game that she was hoping they could sneak past without being noticed.

"There he is," Emily said to Maya under her breath.

Maya raised an eyebrow as Ben turned to grab a blue Solo cup from Noel and take a drink of it, exposing a large purple bruise around his eye. "Did you do that to his face?" she asked. "Damn. It's a good colour on him."

Emily wished that she had. He more than deserved what he got. She just wasn't sure how to feel about Toby saving her yet. It was just so bizarre, she hadn't told Maya yet. After all, their group had pretty much ruined his life. Why would he go out of his way to rescue her?

Emily didn't have much time to ponder on this. "Hey, Em!" someone called from across the room. Emily barely had a second to register that it was Hanna before Ben turned.

"Yo, what just happened?" Sean asked.

Something told Emily that Sean hadn't gotten the whole story from Ben. Emily smiled awkwardly at Hanna, knowing that Ben was watching every move she made. All thoughts of sneaking past Ben were out of the question now. She'd talk to her later, but all she needed to do right now was get away from him.

The bruise on his eye looked really painful. Normally, Emily would've been by his side at all times, trying to help nurse him back to health. Now, though, she hoped that it hurt more than it looked like it did. He took a couple steps toward her, but he didn't get any closer than that.

"So, you decided to come after all," he said.

"Yeah, I did," Emily said, standing her ground. "Just not with you."

Emily walked away from him with Maya right behind her. She'd officially had enough of Ben. Any sadness that she had felt melted away with every step she took. It was exactly the type of closure she'd needed to free herself of such an awful situation, and truthfully, she was glad to be rid of him. She had Maya and the other girls, and that was all she needed.