10. Spencer 🤓

Dinner that night had gone just as smoothly as it had the night before, and Spencer had found a way to avoid any excess stress. Currently, she was upstairs laying on her bed and continuing her binge read of To Kill a Mockingbird. The window in her room was closed, blocking out all excess noises and adding a sweet bliss to her bedroom. It was the first moment of real peace she had felt all day. She was so focused on the lines of the book that she almost didn't hear Melissa's drunken laughter echoing across the backyard. Even through the closed window, Melissa found a way to intrude on Spencer's life.

Melissa was notorious for having too much wine at dinner, similar to her mother, but today she had gone a little bit overboard. Spencer got up from her bed to glare at them. She didn't like having any unwanted noises distracting her from reading. She looked out the window and saw the couple outside of the barn door, laughing and kissing before they went inside. Spencer had to stop herself from rolling her eyes. It was just like her to get tipsy and giggly in front of a boy.

Wren was a really good guy, but she couldn't understand why he was so into Melissa. He was really laidback and cool, while Melissa was a bit of a stuck-up bitch. Spencer and Melissa had never gotten along for that exact reason. Despite the similarities in grade-point average and life accomplishments, Spencer and Melissa had very different personalities when it came to social interaction. So why a guy like Wren was with a girl like Melissa was beyond her. He wasn't even really Melissa's type, which Spencer had told him. Melissa was into guys that were just as straight cut as she was, everything her parents ever wanted her to be with not a hair out of place. Wren seemed to be the complete opposite of that.

Her computer beeped from her desk, announcing that a new email had just arrived in her inbox. She crossed the room and sat down at her desk to inspect, ignoring the massive piles of textbooks and old notes lining the desk. She had to read the email a few times to really understand what it said, but no matter how many times her eyes ran over the words on the screen, nothing about it made any sense at all.From: A

To: Spencer

Poor Spencer. Always wants Melissa's boyfriends.

But remember, if you kiss I tell.

-A

Spencer's heart raced as she read the message again. There was no way anybody could've seen her looking out the window. She was looking into the backyard, after all. The only people there were Melissa and Wren. The message itself was what scared her the most. It sounded exactly like something Alison would've said. Was it possible that Ali could've sent it? She looked back at the window before reading the message one more time.

Alison, Spencer, and Hanna traipsed into Spencer's house, laughing with one another. They had just finished playing a super intense game of Truth or Dare over at Alison's house while the chocolate chip cookies they had baked were cooling down. Aria and Emily had both been busy so they hadn't come with them to sunbathe and gossip with the rest of them.

As soon as they stepped over the threshold of the Hastings house, the sweet smell of freshly baked cookies mixed with their suntan lotion making the air around them smell amazing. The house seemed to be empty, and the silence and stillness of the house was welcoming to them. They could continue their game without anyone hearing or seeing them. They could dish out all kinds of ridiculous dares and personal truths. It was Alison's favourite game.

Hanna reached for one of the cookies. She had just barely lifted it to her lips before Alison noticed her. "Are you really gonna eat that, Sweetie?" Alison asked. "I'm being a friend, Hanna."

Hanna frowned and put the cookie back on the tray, glancing at her arms and covering her stomach with them. Melissa came in through the open front door, holding hands with her insanely hot boyfriend, Ian. All the girls secretly harboured crushes on him. He was older and hot, but he was Melissa's boyfriend and he never even looked at any of them in the way they wanted him to. But it was still fun to talk about him and the other older Rosewood boys.