It's A Wonderful Afterlife- Chapter 1: Consequences

Începe de la început

The humming of the lift coming down into the backyard became so familiar to me a sound of such excitable comfort. I headed out to the yard and waited with anticipation for the lift to rest on the ground. I dashed over into the cage and locked it pushing the button to go up. The Aranea was the closest thing to an actual home for me and the sense of safety was alien yet so comforting for me. Once I was inside the ship the comfort smell of oil and metal really brought me into a sense of security. I made my way down the bowels of the ship with the Egg Boy Number 3 escorting me to "Bossman".

The ship was dark and cold almost but near the west engine was Pen's workshop and lab. There under the dim light of a desk lamp was the man I loved so dearly.
"Hey they're King 💜" I walked up behind Pen wrapping my arms around him nuzzling into his neck. The scent of lavender and tea always made me think of him. Embracing Pen was like something I can't describe. It was like that missing puzzle piece I never knew was missing.

"//giggle// Why hello to you too Nissy?" He laughed so sweetly when I embraced him and I peered over his shoulder so he could kiss my cheek. "You look out of sorts my love? What is the matter?" I tightened my embrace which made Pen more concerned. "I know you don't wish to talk about your emotions, Arackniss but sometimes when they are raw it's best to discu-!"

I pulled away and folded my arms not wanting to deal with what happened between me and Anthony. Let alone missing my date with Pen I just wanted some sympathy for a millisecond and he wanted me to open up my entire chest for him.
"Not now Pen! I just felt bad missing our date and I'm starving...what did you make?"
I looked at Pen and his soft expression became harsh and unjust.
"I'm working on my own work Arackniss and you expect me to be your damn housewife!?" He rose from his stool now towering me despite my experience in the hitman world...anyone towering over my petrified me.

"I have important plans to design and invent to become Overlord! I am not your wife or anything of the sort you're a grown man you can feed yourself!" Pen slithers hassingly to another bench where a copper boiler was on a gas stove. He turned it on in frustration and gathered the papers scattered next to it for the experiment he was conducting.
I don't usually get mad at Pen but today was one of those days I just couldn't take anymore.

"HEY! I NEVER WANTED TO TAKE THE DAMN JOB TODAY ANYWAY! THE LEAST MY BOYFRIEND COULD DO IS SHOW SOME SYMPATHY!" I had enough and was just boiled over with anger; my fists were clenched and teeth were bearing.
Pen turned to me with a look of shock and annoyance. "You want sympathy? Nissy I've always opened my arms to you to emotionally off load on me but lately I feel like you're always putting your job first not to mention you're in a constant spiral with your family...you think I don't work just as hard as you? It must be so easy to get things done with a pistol at the ready!"
Pen folded his arms and if I saw this with fresh eyes. We were both exhausted and drained...I should not have said anything else...but I did.

"I HAVE RESPONSIBILITIES TO MY WORK AND MY FAMILY! WHAT WOULD YOU KNOW ABOUT FAMILY?! YOU DON'T HAVE ANY?!"
Great, I did it again and I fucked up badly. I hit Pen where it would hurt to deflect any sort of emotion I didn't want to face.
His face dropped and tears welled up in his eyes then that vicious voice of anger came out as he came near me. I circled around to where he once was standing by the bench to keep my distance.

"I HAVE ALWAYS CONSIDERED YOU FAMILY NISSY!! HOW DARE YOU SAY SUCH A THING TO ME!" He softened his voice "You know how I feel about not having anyone down here...you are my family. I love you dammit! Why can't you just give me straightforward answers rather than defending yourself from an inkling of emotion?"

"MAYBE YOU WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITHOUT ME?! I'm obviously the thing holding you back from succeeding...it would be better if I was erased for you, Pops and Anthony..."

The room draped in silence but there was a rattling sound and a whistle. I looked behind me and the copper boiler was hissing being under the heat. Pen saw but I acted fast and pushed him out of the workshop to safety. I had to act quickly and I went back to the boiler to try and shut it off but it was scalding hot. The Aranea started an alert and then the workshop doors sealing. I could see Pen beating on the door desperately trying to save me. Despite the thick air locked door I could hear Pen wailing my name to try and save me from the container exploding. I couldn't do anything. Everything was hot to the touch on the boiler. I made my way to Pen at the door looking through the small window.

"Wh-what's in it Pen?..." I was concerned knowing I could be erased this very second.
Through the tears and sobbing Pen managed to tell me "Its...//sob// an experimental gas for the A...Aranea. To douse enemies below..//sob//"

"Pen what does it do...?" I asked with more worry in my voice.

"I-I don't know...it's experimental! I'm sorry Nissy I'm so sor-!"

As Pen pleaded his guilt to me the pot burst open filling the room with the mysterious gas. It was a shade of purple with iridescent fragments fluttering in the cloud.
I looked at Pen and he went back to banging the thick iron door as I slowly backed up into the gas cloud. This was it...I was going to be erased.
I'm sorry Pen...things would be so much better for you without me.

I felt faint, my eyes tunnel visioned as I coughed uncontrollably. Wheezing for air in the toxic cloud I fell to my knees. Looking over at the door I could hear a stronger force hitting it. I vaguely saw glimpses of Pen's tail trying to break down the door but it was too late. I keeled over gasping for air as the room faded to black. The thuds dissipated and Pen's voice was no more.

Was I erased?

No?

I could feel the floor under me still? What was happening?

There was this crackling hiss from something over me. It screeched over me as I opened my eyes. To my shock I saw 2 of "those things" looming over me.

The Clean Up crew...the Exterminators.