𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈⎥the butterfly

NAYELI FELT HER HEART SINK INTO THE GROUND BENEATH HER, EACH SILENT MOMENT PASSING, STOMPING THE FOOLISH THING. She had hoped that Zaira would not be an ignorant prude but alas it seemed she never knew the woman her heart yearned for. But how could Nayeli have known if the only things Zaira told about herself was her name and the particular distaste she has for Nayeli?

Her brain was a muffled with the turmoil of her thoughts, the pits of sadness engulfing her in its unforgiving hold. She was a fool to believe that Zaira was anything more than what the world around her was. It could have just been hope that twisted the picture she had painted in her mind, the rapid increases in breath whenever she became painfully close to Zaira all a mirage. 

"It is my pleasure to meet you, Ehsan. I must say, I am quite fond of your eyeliner," Zaira paused before turning her attention toward Cyra," And Cyra, it is lovely being acquainted with you. Your......hijab is quite elegant."

Three pairs of eyes snapped up to meet Zaira's inquisitive ones. After the loaded silence, the trio had felt a dull pain, some more than others, when yet another reacted unfavorably to the nature of Ehsan's gender. Was it so hard to except that Ehsan was not one to be confined in a box called gender?

"I-" They paused, overcome by emotion, "Thank you. I was nervous about wearing it out in public."

A cute blush appeared on the bronze skin of Ehsan, their long lashing fluttering as they looked away in embarrassment. It was the first time someone who was not from their inner circle complimented them, at it was clear to see. They flushed even more under the strong gaze of Zaira, something Cyra took note of instantly.

"Zaira, do not compliment this imbecile any more. I fear the repercussions of your actions will fall on me rather than you. I do hope my poor ears are ready for Ehsan's pompous boasting that will follow," she smirked, stealing halting Ehsan's transition into their shy little cocoon.

Instead they became a butterfly, their long lashes fluttering in disbelief, opening the curtains toward the mischief that hid behind them. The soft wind brushed aside their neatly trimmed curls, the dark strands falling from its graceful position to disturb their smooth forehead. Ehsan was handsome. Their jaw sharp, creating the illusion that it could even cut diamond. Rippling muscles stretched through their tall frame, the thin tunic like garment doing nothing to hide it. But they were beautiful, light brown eyes that seemed to radiate warmth around Cyra and Nayeli. The slight smile that danced on their artfully crafted face held a somber feel that evoked a multitude of emotions. They were beautifully handsome, with elegance radiating through every bone in their body.

"Cyra Tahira Ismal," They spat, a shocked expression overtaking their flustered one,"I am appalled at your insulting remarks. But I do believe it will be my poor ears will be able to hold the brunt of your boasting."

"Yo-"

Cyra's attempts to attack Ehsan was paused by Nayeli, freshly awoken from her trance through the loud banter of her companions. Not from an ethereal kiss given with love by her princess unlike the fairy tales. Zaira held no malice or absurd grudges against them, proof that she was a woman beyond her time. 

She chose to remain silent as the two began to bicker once again, a nervous mechanism she noticed, both too unsettled by the compliments they were given. Nayeli focused her attention on watching Zaira, only if it was for a moment, she wished to soak in every detail of her beautiful face.