Chapter 1

Ethan

Honestly speaking, messing with annoying girls who grabbed my collar and threatened me was not on my to-do list for university.

"Is that all?" I asked, hauling the last bag into my room. My mom nodded. She was looking around the place. Thankfully, she was not frowning.

"Now let's see the rest of the place. Where is your roommate?" my mom marched into the living room. I shrugged and followed her.

The living room, which had been empty minutes before, had a guy on the couch. He was a normal-looking boy. No piercings, no tattoos. Just messy brown hair and an impish grin. Thank heavens for that.

She had been adamant about me moving to California. I had somehow managed to convince her to let me come here. But she had her conditions.

She wouldn't let me stay in the college dormitories as she was afraid, I would get into bad company. When I'd said that I could stay with my dad, she'd shaken her head. Her exact words were, "You need to learn to be independent, so you should stay separate. And not with him."

She emphasized the last part with a huge lecture.

"Hello, there! I'm Connor. I hope your trip was nice." He stood up, offering me his hand. I shook it.

"Ethan Davis. Nice place."

"Make yourself at home. It is your home now," he laughed. I chuckled. My mom stayed silent. He glanced between us.

"I'm going to go run some errands. See you later."

With another grin at me and my mom he exited.

"He seems nice," I said. My mom did not reply. I felt anxious as to what she was thinking. I hoped she wouldn't change her decision.

"Now," my mom started, holding my shoulders. Here we go.

"Be a good boy, Ethie. No-"

"No drugs, no clubs, no drinking. Yeah, Mom, I know." I completed it for her. She had said it to me about a million times over the week I had learned it by heart now. She smiled.

"And stay away from kids who are no good."

"Yes, mom."

"Are you sure about this? Are you sure you don't want to stay with me?"

Yes, Mom, I'm damn sure. I want to be as far as I can be from you. I want to live a little and maybe breathe without you telling me that I was doing it wrong or that you didn't like it.

"Yes, mom." That's all I said.

***

The next day was my first class, Physical Sciences. I took a seat in the middle of the classroom and took out my books.

"Mind if I sit here?"

I turned my head and the first thing that came to my mind after looking at her was Ginny Weasley. She had scarlet hair and a pale face.

"Not at all,"

She smiled. "Thanks. I'm Laura,"

"Nice to meet you, Laura. I'm Ethan."

"Oooh, did you draw that?" She pointed to the doodles on the cover of my notebook. "It's so cute! Can I see it?"

"Yeah, sure. There are more of them inside. You stay in the dormitories?" I asked. She flipped through my notebook.

"Yea, I do. What about you?"

"I've rented an apartment close by,"

"Who's your roommate?"