Narrow Escape

Final update for a little while! (While I work on other stories)

Hope you guys have been enjoying these updates. This chapter doesn't really have a cliffhanger, but a realization. :)

See? I'm not evil enough to make you wait long between cliffhangers! (Unless... 👀😁)

Warning: This chapter contains violence such as gun use, knife use, murder, and a brief description of removing a bullet from a wound. DO NOT ATTEMPT ANY OF THE THINGS HARRY DOES AT HOME! Seeing a medical professional for wounds and stitches is safer than attempting any of this. Remember: Harry knows about this stuff from his grandmother in this story, but it could still be rather dangerous.

I did my best on the action scenes. This is the first story with major action that I have written, so tell me what you think!

Without any further ado, ENJOY!

Chapter 40:

There was a ringing in my ear from the bomb going off so close by. I felt disoriented as I heard the distant sounds of gunshots being fired. All I saw as I opened my eyes was a frantic Harry beneath me. He was speaking. I saw his mouth move, but everything was all out of focus-- my sight, sound, touch.

"Louis!" I finally heard Harry's voice crash through. The gunshots were clearer now-- louder-- closer than I thought. I heard the glass of the window shatter as a bullet flew through it. It was like a vacuum shutting off and all of the sound hitting me at once. The smoke from the smoke grenade filled the room. It was the only thing hiding us away, but it was also hiding the enemy.

I scrambled to find my gun on the floor, and I managed to find it within seconds. But I could only find one of the guns. I was down to ten bullets now.

I grabbed Harry's arm and pulled him toward the kitchen. I rummaged around in the smokey house for a dish rag. I found one and wet it before handing it to Harry.

"Stay down. Stay hidden. Cover your mouth and nose" I ordered, and he nodded as he did exactly as I said. "I'll be back."

I didn't wait for his response. I was already moving away from him, staying low as I heard the gunshots come to a halt. Then, footsteps began to move into the building.

I got my gun ready, holding it out in front of me as I rounded the corner, seeing two men walking by already. Their eyes searched in front of them in the smoke, looking for a body. I took aim at the backs of their heads and shot. Once. Twice.

I heard voices yelling as they heard my shots, and I quickly hid in the smoke. I had eight bullets left now. Six more men to take out.

All six of them entered the house at the same time, making it more difficult. I cursed under my breath and panicked as I saw one guy start to move to the kitchen to check it out. Decisively, I shot at him. My bullet grazed his arm, only spilling a bit of blood, but it was enough to drive all of their attention my way.

Immediately, they shot at me. I ran and dove behind the sofa, the bullets ripping up the fabric of it and sending small pieces of material flying to the ground. The smoke was settling now. I could get in a clear shot, easy.

I took a deep breath before peeking out, shooting perfectly at a guy on the far left. He fell to the ground with a shout of pain, laying lifeless there.

Five more. Six bullets.

"Fuck you!" Another guy shouted, and I dashed out from behind the sofa as another grenade was thrown. It went off moments after I was safely away.

It was loud and too close for comfort. Adrenaline was the only thing keeping me going as I turned to the stairs. I stumbled up them, hearing multiple pairs of footsteps behind me. I really hoped Harry stayed put.