The Breakfast Club

Y/n's POV

Obviously, I didn't get any sleep after making it back to the barracks. I was too busy trying to answer my own questions. That was a bust, by the way, seeing as how the only way I could get legitimate answers would be to ask either Annie, Bertholdt, or Reiner. If I did that, they'd plan my death, and I...kinda don't wanna die.

If their mission was to kill us within the walls, who the hell was I to get in the way of that? I don't give a damn about what we had supposedly done, and I honestly had shit of my own I needed to take care of. If we die, we're saved from this hellhole. Simple.

Eren: Yo, Y/n, you good? You look like shit.

Y/n: Huh? Oh yeah. I'm uh...Fuck.

I slammed my head down on the table, garnering everyone's attention.

Armin: Uh oh.

Y/n: 'Armin knows about the ocean!'

I picked my head up, and it took a bit for my eyes to refocus.

Y/n: Armin. You know about the outside world, right? Beyond the walls? What's it like?

He paused, likely taken aback by my query. His eyes widened then went back to their normal size.

Armin: Uhm...most of what I learned was from my grandfather's book. I mainly focused on the ocean...

Y/n: 'Now to goad him into over-sharing.'

I nodded my head intently.

Y/n: What's that?

Mikasa and Eren groaned.

Eren: Don't get him started, please!

Mikasa: We're going to be here awhile...

Y/n: A necessary evil. Tell me more, Armin.

Armin smiled brightly.

Armin: Ah, well, it's an enormous body of water that spans over most of the planet! Oh, and it's got so much salt that it would take lifetimes for the merchants to use it all!

Y/n: Isn't there any land?

He laughed.

Armin: Of course there is! It would be called an island since the ocean surrounds it.

I nodded my head sagely.

Y/n: I see...

He raised an eyebrow.

Armin: Why ask now? You've never really shown much interest in things beyond the walls much.

I knew that I had to be careful here. Armin was deathly intelligent. I faked the most embarrassed expression I could.

Y/n: I...well, It's just...talking about my dad last night kind of sparked my childhood infatuation with the outside world. I wasn't able to get much sleep because of it.

I decided to indulge a bit. It was just my friends, after all.

Y/n: My mind's always tended to get a bit...excited, I guess you could say? At the mere thought of anything to do with the outside world. I don't know why. It's just always been like that...

I frowned at that unpleasant thought. Eren placed his hand on my shoulder comfortingly. I smiled at him.

Y/n: My father would always sing me lullaby's about the outside world. About the birds flying free and such. It would always calm me and put me to sleep. I guess without that, I'm not getting any sleep, even now. I didn't get any sleep last night. I'm running on fumes...hahahahaha...