Curiosity Killed The Cat

Y/n's POV

I've never really been known as an insomniac, but I couldn't get any sleep tonight. So, I decided I would go for a nighttime stroll to help. I stepped out of my bed as quietly as I could, sliding on my slippers. Making it to the door was easy. It was opening it quietly that was a problem. I winced as the door made a slight protest. Once it was wide enough for me to fit through, I tiptoed outside.

The air was crisp and refreshing. I took a deep breath to soak it all in. I opened my eyes to focus on the moon and all its glory as it shone over the trees. I made my way towards the forest but stopped in my tracks as I heard talking.

Y/n: What the fuck? Who the hell else is out here?

I made my way towards the voices as quietly as I could.

???: I think that maybe we should keep this to ourselves. Her only motive is getting home to her dad, no? If we tell her that her father's dead, how can we be sure she'll stay in line? Who's to say she won't botch this whole operation? Throw us to the wolves?

???: Reiner...

Y/n: 'Reiner...?'

???: I don't like lying to her. You know how I feel about her. How can I say that my feelings are real yet lie to her face?

Reiner: It's not lying if she doesn't ask.

???: Right, it's just withholding the truth.

Reiner: A truth she can't handle.

???: Damnit, Reiner! You're not making this mission easy! First, we push on regardless of Marcel's death, and now we're lying to Annie about her dad dying?

Reiner: Bert, I told you, it's not lying if she doesn't ask. I know how this might sound, but you need to understand that I'm doing what's best for all three of us. I'm doing what needs to be done to get us home.

Y/n: 'The hell? Is he talking to...Bertholdt?'

Bertholdt: Reiner...I can't. I'm sorry, but I can't do this. Either we tell Annie or-

Reiner: Or what, Bert? Or you'll go home? Good luck swimming across the ocean. And who's to say the Marleyans won't kill you upon arrival?

Bertholdt: That's not what I was going to say. I was going to say that I'll tell her myself.

Reiner: How about I tell Eren you practically killed his mother?

Bertholdt: That's not fair...

Reiner: No? Didn't you kick the gate in?

Bertholdt: You destroyed the gate to wall Rose. Annie led the Titans here! We're all at fault! We've all killed people that mattered to others!

Reiner: They aren't people. They're devils. And they all deserve it.

Bertholdt: They're innocent...

Reiner: They're all guilty sinners. We need to atone by wiping them all out.

Bertholdt: Reiner...

Annie: Will the two of you quit with the fucking yelling? You'll wake up the entire camp! I only heard you because of my enhanced hearing, but what if you were closer? Then what? We'd be fucking busted, and that would be it! This would all be for nothing!

Bertholdt: We're sorry, Annie. We'll keep quiet. Swear.

Annie: You fucking better. Why the hell are you fools meeting without me anyways?

Reiner: Your Titan would be useless for the plan we have, so we excluded you.

Annie: And? I'd still like to know.

Reiner: You're not that great of an actor. We both figured it would be better if your surprise were genuine.

Annie: ....Fair point. I'm going to bed.

Bertholdt: Good night, Annie.

Annie: Whatever.

Reiner: Ouch.

Bertholdt:...

Once Annie had retreated into the girl's barracks, they resumed the conversation. As if the shit they said was normal.

Bertholdt: How could you lie to her so easily? We're supposed to be a family.

Reiner: Bert, you're my comrade, but that's as far as we go. We're here on a mission to prove that we're good Eldians. Not like the devilish Eldians within the walls here. Do you understand?

Bertholdt: I understand just fine.

After he said that, he walked away from Reiner and straight to the boy's barracks. Reiner stood there with his hands over his face. He gave one last heavy sigh before retreating as well. After seeing that the coast was clear, I resumed my trek to the forest. Just what the hell had they been talking about? I mean, I could've brushed it off as them being fucking nuts, but Annie was aware as well, and she's far from crazy.

There was so much to wrap my head around. For 1, Annie's dad is dead, and her closest friends were hiding it from her. (How they know in the first place is beyond me. Isn't their home across the ocean?). Secondly, the three of them are up to something. There was a fourth, Marcel, but he's dead. (How did he die? Was he killed? By Reiner, perhaps?). Third, whatever they have to do here corresponds with them getting back home-a mission. (To wipe out devils? Bad Eldians?).

They're also responsible for the fall of wall Maria, and that alone makes me want to kill all three of them. Reiner had said that Bertholdt was responsible for kicking in the gate? But how would that be possible if the Colossal Titan did it? They also said that 'Annie's Titan wouldn't be useful.' And Bertholdt said that Reiner destroyed the gate to wall Rose. The safest assumption would be that they all have Titans. Which, honestly, that makes me sound like a fucking basket case. But, who are the Marleyans? Are they against the Eldians?

And the Eldians...how am I supposed to know who's good and who's bad? Annie, Reiner, and Bertholdt are supposed to be good Eldians. (Are there more?). Everyone within the walls were supposed to be bad Eldians. We did something bad, and the only way to make it right is to kill everyone. Just what did we do? (How would they go about doing that exactly? If Bertholdt really is the Colossal Titan, he could easily do it. And if Reiner is the Titan that took out the gate to wall Rose, that would make him the Armored Titan. Which titan is Annie?). How does this whole Titan thing work anyway? Are they separate, or do they change forms?

This entire thing was giving me a fucking headache, honestly. I should've just stayed in bed and forced myself to sleep. I mean, I basically discovered that people we thought were our friends were actually people from across the fucking ocean, and the Marleyans sent them on a mission to kill everyone within the walls. Speaking of which, how is it that everyone else thinks they we're the last of humanity? How does no one else know that there are others beyond the walls?

This needs to get written down. But first, I'm going to need to ask Armin a vital question.