Chapter 20

"You failed, kid," Shigaraki said as his hand wrapped around Eraserheads neck. "You're weak, you're pathetic, you're useless."

"Stop! Stop it! I'm not! I'm not!" Izuku screamed, though he felt like nothing came out.

"Quirkless Deku," Shigaraki seethed. "You really think you can stand up to someone like me?"

Izuku watched in horror as Eraserhead disintegrated and Kacchan replaced him.

"NO! Stop! Don't hurt him!" Izuku tried to move forward but there was something holding him in place.

"You can't save him," Shigaraki said as he started to close his last finger around Kacchan. "You did nothing to help him, all that's left is for you to watch him die."

"NO!!!" Izuku panted as he looked around the room. He jumped as the door to his bedroom slammed open and his mother came tumbling in with worry written over her face. It took a while before Izuku realized it was just a dream.

"Izuku, honey, are you okay?" His mother said as she looked him over. Izuku looked down to see he was drenched in sweat and his blankets were in disarray.

"I-I..." he tried to speak, but couldn't find the words.

"Was it about the USJ?" Inko asked quietly. Izuku slowly nodded, still catching his breath. "Oh hun, come here." Inko quickly enveloped her son in a hug and it didn't take long for Izuku to cling to her, the memory of dreaming of his childhood friend dying still fresh in his mind.

"I-I'm okay Mom. I-It was just a dream." Izuku said finally.

"Honey, you've had one every night since the USJ. I'm gonna call the school-" Inko started to stand before she was interrupted.

"No! I'm fine! I can still go!" Izuku rushed. Today was going to be the first day back and he needed to see his friends alright and alive more than anything.

"I was just saying I want them to book you an appointment with the school's counselor, Izuku. You need someone to talk to and as much as I would love to be that person, I would probably end up crying more than you." Inko said with a small smile. Izuku immediately relaxed and nodded.

"Y-yeah, maybe you're right." Izuku watched his mother leave the room. He could faintly hear her on the phone before he decided to get up and take a shower.

Kacchan is alive. Eraserhead is alive. Everyone is safe. You are safe. He continued to say to himself as he got ready for the day. His mother ended up making his favourite breakfast and told him his appointment with Hound Dog would be just after lunch.

"I want you to be honest with Hound Dog, you can trust him with all your worries, okay?" Inko said as Izuku put on his red sneakers.

"I know, Mom. I'll see you after school," Izuku said before leaving the apartment.

Everything is fine. Everything is just fine.

***

Everything was not fine.

If Izuku thought the media presence was bad before, he didn't know what he could call it now. Suddenly he had wished him and Bakugo were together because pushing past the gate was especially difficult, and painful when someone elbowed his bad arm.

When he finally made it onto school grounds, he thought he was safe. Key word, thought. When Izuku arrived at his homeroom classroom he was shocked to see all of his classmates were early and had crowded around Mei. The second he entered the room, all eyes were on him. That's when it began.