Chapter 5

David Shield sat at his work desk, looking over a new design. He looked up from his work to see his 13 year old daughter was still in the corner reading a book. He sighed, knowing he was supposed to be taking her out for a day of fun while the candidates of the hero costume contest were on the island.

He had hoped that taking her around the island might give her a chance to make a few new friends with people around the world. But work came first and David had plenty of that. Standing up from his desk, David walked over and sat on the floor next to his daughter, placing a hand on her back.

"Just because I'm stuck here, doesn't mean you are," he said. "Why don't you take some money from my wallet and get some bubble tea from the shop down the street."

"I'm good here, Dad," she responded, her eyes not leaving her book.

"Maybe you could go to one of the demonstrations? It might give you a chance to meet some of the kids from different countries." David continued.

"I-I don't think they'll want to meet anyone like me, Dad," she said quietly.

"Melissa," David sighed. "Did those kids start bugging you again?"

Melissa was the only quirkless kid on I-island. Quirkless people only took up 20% of the world's population and they were especially rare in youth. No matter how hard David and the teachers at the I-island middle school tried, kids always seemed to leave Melissa out on something. They weren't so mean as to be called bullies, but they definitely weren't her friends.

"Maybe..." Melissa said finally. "They just pointed out that the kids visiting would rather focus on the ones with the ability to become a hero is all. And it's true. Most of these kids probably want to be a hero themselves or be a scientist like you, Dad."

"Melissa, you can't stay believing that no one wants to be your friend because you're quirkless." David insisted. "Mandy Nelson has been trying to get you to hang out with her ever since she got her last month. Give her a chance and you'll see."

His daughter just shrugged and continued to read her book. With one last sigh David got up off the floor.

"I gotta go meet up with the people organizing the seating for tomorrow's dinner. Can't have them seat your Uncle at a different table now, can I?" he said. At the mention of Melissa's uncle her mood immediately changed. All Might wasn't going to be showing up till tomorrow and Melissa was ecstatic she would get to see him again.

David left her to her reading and walked down the hall to Meeting Room C, which was being used by the organization committee. When he entered he saw four men and a woman standing around the large table. Circular papers were scattered across the table, representing the tables that would be in the actual ball room. Each person was setting random papers with the name of a country or a pro hero down at each table.

"You don't mind if I make a request do you?" David asked the group.

"Of course not!" the man in a blue suit said. "Who would you like at your table, sir?"

"If you don't mind, my daughter and I would love to have All Might seated with us." he said, smiling kindly at the group.

"Already had that arranged for you, sir." the woman said. "I suspected you two would want to catch up."

"Thank you, well that was all I-"

"Actually, one more thing," one of the men said. He was the shortest of the group and he was staring down at a piece of paper in front of him when David looked over. "Your daughter is quirkless, correct?"

The question surprised David. He almost wanted to yell at the man that it didn't matter. But then he thought, 'why does this matter? Why is he asking that?'